Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet disconnecting every 2 minutes

nwong
Aspirant

Internet disconnecting every 2 minutes

Just today, my internet has been disconnecting every 2 minutes on average. It disconnects for about 10-20 seconds and then reconnects back. I restarted my orbi router and satellites multiple times already and the problem still occurs. The firmware is up to date.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Internet disconnecting every 2 minutes

what FW are you running and how did you get it?

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

Modem you're connected to?

Is the wifi dropping or are you just getting "internet not available" notice?

Is it happening on hardwired devices too? 

And if its only to the wireless is it certain satellites that are dropping? 

Message 3 of 9
nwong
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Modem you're connected to?

Is the wifi dropping or are you just getting "internet not available" notice?

Is it happening on hardwired devices too? 

And if its only to the wireless is it certain satellites that are dropping? 

The modem is the one provided by my ISP

The wifi just goes offline for a couple seconds

Happens to all devices (wired and non wired)

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Questions on this forum are usually pretty specific for a reason.  Knowing the brand and model of modem allows people to determine if it is a "modem", a "router/modem", or a "modem/router/wifi" box.

How the internet failure is detected is also key.  i.e. the specific error message being displayed?  any "colors" showing up on the Orbi?

So, "WiFI goes off" is not consistent with "happens to all devices (wired and non wired)"

Are you managing the Orbi using the web interface (web browser) or using the Orbi "app"?

Message 5 of 9
nwong
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Questions on this forum are usually pretty specific for a reason.  Knowing the brand and model of modem allows people to determine if it is a "modem", a "router/modem", or a "modem/router/wifi" box.

How the internet failure is detected is also key.  i.e. the specific error message being displayed?  any "colors" showing up on the Orbi?

So, "WiFI goes off" is not consistent with "happens to all devices (wired and non wired)"

Are you managing the Orbi using the web interface (web browser) or using the Orbi "app"?

Model is SmartRG SR515AC

There are no colors on the orbi, my wifi just disconnects for around 10-20 seconds then goes back online.

I use the orbi app

It has been working perfectly fine for almost two years now and I haven't changed anything so I am not sure why it is acting up now

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

It's often a good idea to "restart everything" just in case some issue has built up over time and finally caused a problem.

Power off both the modem and the Orbi.

Power on the modem and wait until it stabilizes (2-3 minutes).

Power on the Orbi.

Since "nothing has changed", maybe it simply all needs to be restarted.

(My smart phone reminds me once a month, "it has been 28 days since you restarted the phone. Please do so now."  Of course, I retort, "the heck I will.  So there!"  But, usually in a day or two I give in and restart it.)

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@nwong wrote:

Model is SmartRG SR515AC

This could be part of the problem. Its a modem/router combo device. do you have it setup in passthrough/modem only mode? Or the orbi in access point mode? 

If both the wireless and wired are dropping, I'd start back at basics. Make sure the modem its connecting to isn't having issues. since its a combo device, you could connect a couple devices to it either hardwired or via wifi and see if they stay stable. 

Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The one thing that amazes me with posts like this is that the history of the network is not addressed.  The critical question I believe would be "how long have you had your Orbi".."has it every worked before?",..."what changes if any have you done or are aware of, such as FW updates, modems, ISP, etc.".

Without this info, most assume the problem is with some sort of device along the chain, which may be correct.  However in most cases, IF the network was working fine and then one day with no action by the user it stopped, well there you go.  

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7