Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet disconnections

IppyD
Aspirant

Internet disconnections

Have had this system working flawless for 3 months, then disconnections to the internet happens; they are currently attached to a TP-Link 7650.

Modem will be operational - no error logs, all lights working. ISP confirms that the modem should be getting internet.
Orbi systems working - orbilogin.com shows internet as good, both router and satellite are operational and broadcasting SSIDs.

My computer is hardwired with the satellite, every device on WLAN shows connection to the system, but nothing loads - Websites, streams, and programs (discord, steam, origin, uplay, spotify). Requires a reset on the orbi to regain internet connection.

Any ideas how to fix it? Both the router and satellite is on firmware 2.1.4.10

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you not getting any internet access via wired and wireless devices? 

Have you walked thru the set up wizard to set up the router to the modem? 

Please try a factory reset of the Orbi router and walk thru the set up wizard with the ISP modem. 

Message 2 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Internet would be working fine until everything stops loading. I'll never disconnect from the wireless network itself, it just stops receiving internet access on the network although the orbi would report the internet as "good".

Under advanced>administration>logs - Nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset of the Orbi router and walk thru the set up wizard with the ISP modem. 

Message 4 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

So I did a factory reset of the orbi and reconnected to the modem; first disconnection since then.

Everything was the same as mentioned before, but this time, I did go into the advanced tab and went and did a QoS test during this disconnection - and it worked. The router reports that I'm getting my full bandwidth (150/15) but for whatever reason, no devices are getting internet access on WLAN.

Any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

After a factory reset did you tell your wireless devices to forget the SSID of the router and try to connect again?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Why would that matter because I'd just reset the router and put the same SSID and password?

And the internet disconnects once in like...3 days or so. I'm fine with disconnections(?) if it's something that routers do - but the issue is the wireless network loses the connection. My home voip box connected directly into the router doesn't lose connection whereas all wifi devices do (pc directly connected to the satelitte does as well)

Message 7 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

From what you said before your wireless devices were connected but could not load anything but you are saying you are getting wireless disconnects on all wireless devices? Have you tried to enable beamforming and MUMIMO? Also have you tried to adjust the wireless channels on the router?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Yes, all wireless devices remains on the SSID broadcasted by the router with no internet access.

From other posts, other people advised users experiencing similar to disable beamforming, MUMIMO, and daisy-chaining. Currently, all three of those functions are disabled. 

If I were to enable these features, in what order/combination should I try to stop these types of disconnections?

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try setting a manual channel on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I use 1 and 48.

I also have Beamforming enabled on my orbi. All others are disabled...

What is the distance between the Orbi router and satellite?

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 10 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll try that next disconnection if it happens. If the pattern continues, it should be tomorrow..

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Are these disconnections happening randomly or at specific time frames?

What is the distance between the Orbi router and satellite?

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 12 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Specific time frame: Seems to DC every several days. Can't exactly pin point a specific time/date, as it has ocurred a day apart, some serveral days apart; all different times.

Router/Satellite distance: 2 floors up, same location vertically. Satellite has a blue ring upon connection to the router.

2.4GHz is crowded, using wifi analyzer - manually set a channel with least signal disruption.
5.0GHz isn't crowded, only one other router spotted on wifi analyzer.

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now if changing channels helps. If your in a wifi congested area, this could be your cause...

Whats the size of your home? SqFt?

Might try reducing the power out put on the radios from High to Medium. However you'll need to move the satellite a bit closer since the signal and range from the router will be reduced..

Message 14 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Had a disconnection around 12:30AM; not as big as the other ones.

This one reconnected within seconds automtatically, so a huge improvement compared to what I was dealing with before.

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try reducing the power out put on the radios from 100% to 75% or 50%. However you'll need to move the satellite a bit closer since the signal and range from the router will be reduced..

Message 16 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Just another disconnection just now, disconnection symptoms have gone back to normal (refusal to connect to internet without a soft reset) - router reporting internet is good, modem indicates internet as good, devices connected to the SSIDs are not receiving internet access.

Difference from last time: Beamforming and MUMIMO has been enabled, power level have been reduced to 50%

Screenshots were taken during the disconnection.

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Message 17 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? 

What channels are your neighbors using? 

How many wifi neighbors do you have?

Whats the size of your home? SqFt?

Message 18 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

2.4GHz using channel 10, seems like I am the only one using it as all other routers are constantly rotating channels (about 6 in vancinity)

5.0Ghz using channel 42, only router using the lower frequencies compared to 150+

I live in a semi-detached neighbourhood, but wifi analyzer is only picking up 4-6 devices. ~20,000 SqFt

Message 19 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

So when the internet gets "disconnected", I tried pinging my router and google's DNS 8.8.8.8

I'm getting packets from my router, but getting full loss on the 8.8.8.8 pings.

The VOIP home phone line is active; would this be a possible faulty satellite where my devices aren't getting internet connect? but the router maintains internet access?

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to be using channels 1 6 or 11. 10 is not a primary channel. It's sub channels used by the wireless HW.

Whats the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

20,000sq ft home?

Message 21 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

So I think it is the satellite that's causing the drop in connection to the internet. When I disconnect from the internet now, unplugging my satellite immediate allows all my wifi-enabled devices to continue using the internet. Any other suggestions before I contact Netgear for a replacement?

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the router and satellite(s)? Be sure the distance starts around 30 feet minimum. Not too close.

Swap around satellites..

Message 23 of 25
IppyD
Aspirant

Why would the distance between router and satellite be an issue of being too close? That makes no sense..

and I only have one satellite

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Causes feedback interferences. Your not supposed to have them too close. The wirless signals should just over lap some. Know that the router alone can cover up to around 30 feet on it's own depending on building materials. Also signal strength and noise will play a role. Have to find that sweet spot. Seems to start at around 30 feet.

Mine is set at 40 feet in my 5000sq ft home. Opposite ends of the house from the router. Zero issues on wireless.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7