Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet dropping on Orbi V2.0.0.72

DCP4971
Luminary

Internet dropping on Orbi V2.0.0.72

V2.0.0.72 was fine initally, but I'm not overly impressed with how it handles dropping internet. I suspect my ISP supplied router is periodically (and far too frequently) dropping it's connection for a brief period. When this happens, Orbi goes all angry and purple halo on us, which doesn't necessarily rectify itself when the Internet is back and the Orbilogin page goes awol - but the Satellite status page is still available.

Initially, I was resorting to power cycling the base, which was fine for a bit, before the Internet dropped the next time, but also found that by unplugging the inbound LAN from the ISP router, kicked things back to life.

That said, as it stands, I'm currently connected to Orbi, using the internet ok, but the base is still all purple halo..

Before V2.0.0.72 we had no issues, it was all very stable, other than an early conflict with our Sky Q boxes which used the same wirelss channel.

Am I alone in having such issues? It seems pretty poor releasing a firmware that's not overly robust imho..

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Internet dropping on Orbi V2.0.0.72

Why would you use your ISP's supplied router when you have the Orbi? if I was you I would just disable Wi-Fi on  it and run the Orbi as the router, I suspect you have a Router/Modem combo from your ISP, just disable the router part.

Also you have tried updating to V2.0.0.74 on your Orbi? .72 is no longer the latest.

Message 2 of 6
DCP4971
Luminary

Ah, the important bit that I missed.. Am using Orbi as my AP, the Cable modem is just the gateway with Wifi disabled - my suspicion is that this is dropping the internet and Orbi has been struggling to handle this.

I've installed .74 this afternoon, so seeing if that makes things more stable.

Message 3 of 6
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Why use Orbi in AP mode though? Orbi is a wonderful router.

Message 4 of 6
DCP4971
Luminary

A fine question..previous router got best performance that way. Changed Orbi and still get my 300+ Mbps. Thanks for the tip!

Message 5 of 6
AzJazz
Apprentice

Hi, @DCP4971 - I believe that I have experienced the same issue you are seeing when my Cisco CM-400 drops the internet connection.

You can read this about a solution for the Orbi losing its configuration in this thread: Here 

The short version: Your Orbi may be having issues or conflicts with the modem's 192.168.100.1 IP address on your LAN. To fix the problem, you should try setting your DHCP address range to 172.16.1.xxx / 255.255.255.0. It works for me. You can try unplugging your cable modem manually to drop the connection to see if your Orbi retains its configuration properly.

Cheers,

AzJazz

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7