Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet occasionaly stalled

mith_it
Luminary

Internet occasionaly stalled

I installed my RBK53 about 10 days ago. Out of the box experience has been good in the sense that I setup the same SSID as my old Netgear router and all devices automatically connected. My two satellites are both connected directly to the router (according to the "Attached devices" page in the advanced admin) and all connected devices, wireless or wired seem to work fine.

It happened twice in the last week (so pretty infrequently) that the Internet does not work anymore. I tried from multiple devices and all simply time out when requesting an Internet page. I know the wifi is working because I could easily connected to the admin page of the router, login and see a list of attached devices. The router also shows a public IP and DNS as provided by Comcast.

I tried two different solutions and both worked. The first time I assumed it was the cable internet, so I restarted the cable modem (an Arris), the second time, to compare outcomes, I soft rebooted Orbi from the admin page. In both cases the Internet came back as soon as the boot cycle was completed.

Unrelated to the Internet issue, an unpleasant side effect of the reboot of Orbi is that my old Netgear router stopped working. The router is a Netgear that I use for the additional Ethernet ports and for the Readyshare storage. Disconnecting the Ethernet port and reconnecting didn't fix it, restarting the old router and then re-applying the Readyshare configuration with no changes did fix the problem.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet occasionaly stalled

Both wired and wireless devices don't have internet when this happens?

Can you still access the Orbi routers web page when this happens?

Was FW udpated recently? Was a full reboot performed after the update?

Might try a factor reset and set up from scratch:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1587071/highli...

Whats the model# of the ISP modem?

Try using a different DNS, like 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 or 8.8.8.8

Message 2 of 4
mith_it
Luminary

I only tested wireless devices and yes I could still use both the Orbi app on my iPhone and also connect via the Web interface and browse around to see different settings. I even made the Orbi do the "test" cycle of the Internet connection. It completed it successfully without actually changing anything.

No recent firmware update since I've had it for so little time. When I first set it up I also immediately upgraded to the latest public version. I haven't done a hard reboot since I installed it and I also hope I don't need to make a factory reset 😉

Thank you for suggesting the alternative DNS addresses, I'll try if it happens again. Although anything is possible, I've had Comcast for more than 2 years and had problems with their connection only a couple of times, so they aren't my first suspect.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted if it happens again.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements