Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet speed drops when connected to work VPN

BergeyRPI
Follower

Internet speed drops when connected to work VPN

Please help!  I get 80+ Mbps download speed on my work computer when the remote VPN is disconnected and somewhere between 5 and 6 Mbps.  For the longest time, I kept assuming it was limited in speed because of my work's VPN.  However, I've determined it is the Orbi router because:

1) When I reset the router and it defaulted back to whatever old firmware it comes with, the speed didn't drop and was fast while both connected and disconnected from the VPN for work.

2) When using my cell phone as a hotspot, speeds are fast and don't drop while connected to the VPN for work.  I get about 30-40 Mbps using my cell phone as a hotspot.

3) When I run a wire directly from my cable modem to my work computer, the speeds are fast when connected and disconnected from the work remote VPN.

Does anyone have any ideas what settings I can change on the Orbi Router?  There's nothing to stop it from auto-updating the firmware from what I can see.  As soon as the Orbi auto updates the firmware, my work computer's speed drops from over 80 Mbps to about 5-6 Mbps when the remote VPN is connected.

I have one pending work around.  I have ordered a 5 port wired switch and I plan to "split" the internet.  I plan to go from the cable modem to the switch, and then send one ethernet chord from the switch to the work computer, and another ethernet chord from the switch to the Orbi router. 

Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Internet speed drops when connected to work VPN

@BergeyRPI wrote:

When I reset the router and it defaulted back to whatever old firmware it comes with, the speed didn't drop and was fast while both connected and disconnected from the VPN for work.

There are two ways to reset the Orbi router:

• Pressing a tiny object  (such as the end of an unfolder paperclip) into the reset hole for an instant.
    This causes the router to reboot. Same as powering it off and back on again.
  • Holding the object in the reset hole untili the Power LED turns amber and begins to blink. (generally more than 8-10 seconds).
    This causes the router to clear out all user settings and reset the WiFi credentials to what is printed on the product label and the web access password to "password".
    It does NOT change the firmware.  If the router came with (for example) 2.3.5.0 and has been updated to 2.7.2.102, then the firmware will remain on the updated version.

@BergeyRPI wrote:

There's nothing to stop it from auto-updating the firmware from what I can see. 

This is not correct.  Unlike the new AX Orbi's, which apparently do update firmware automatically, the older Orbi models rely on the user to initiate firmware updates.

@BergeyRPI wrote:

I have one pending work around.  I have ordered a 5 port wired switch and I plan to "split" the internet.  I plan to go from the cable modem to the switch, and then send one ethernet cord from the switch to the work computer, and another ethernet cord from the switch to the Orbi router. 

This is not likely to be successful.  A true modem (with one ethernet port on the back) expects to be connected to one device. The feed cannot be 'split'.  This is likely what you have because combination modem/router units typically have 4 ethernet ports on the back and ordering a switch would not be the plan.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7