Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet stopped working

LCV
Tutor
Tutor

Internet stopped working

Thank you so much for reading my question! I am starting to get a little desperate trying to fix my issue 🙂 My internet suddenly stopped working yesterday. I can access Google, for example, but if I click on a search result, I get the message that “Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found.” We made the discovery that I can access websites from my phone if I turn on my secure VPN. Another interesting thing is that my daughter can access the Internet from her ChromeBook. The rest of us are on Different Apple devices. I would love any ideas on where I should be looking to resolve my issue. Is it my Orbi? Should I look there first? What are some possible fixes I could look at? I appreciate any suggestion, and thank you so much!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

There was a wide internet outage yesterday morning. 

Check with your ISP to make sure all ISP services are working for you. 

Power OFF the ISP modem and RBR fo 1 minute then back on. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-Cannot-connect-to-all-websites/td-p/1969316/jump-to/firs...

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@LCV wrote:
Thank you so much for reading my question! I am starting to get a little desperate trying to fix my issue 🙂 My internet suddenly stopped working yesterday. I can access Google, for example, but if I click on a search result, I get the message that “Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found.” We made the discovery that I can access websites from my phone if I turn on my secure VPN. Another interesting thing is that my daughter can access the Internet from her ChromeBook. The rest of us are on Different Apple devices. I would love any ideas on where I should be looking to resolve my issue. Is it my Orbi? Should I look there first? What are some possible fixes I could look at? I appreciate any suggestion, and thank you so much!

If you are using your Orbi as your router with connected satellites, and your daughter can connect to the NET from her Chromebook, through the Orbi system, I would ask what has changed on the Apple devices, as they are having the issue. Is it possible to try another browser to see if it Safari related? And since you mentioned you can access websites from your phone if you turn on your secure VPN, you may be experiencing DNS issues on those devices. So I would check your settings on the Apple devices in question.

Message 3 of 6
LCV
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you, I will try this! Later on in the day, my Chromebook user began experiencing trouble as well . . . But, I am trying to check the DNS as per your suggestion. The current DNS I am using is greyed out on both the Ethernet tab and the WiFi. I looked it up, and I found out that means they are default from the router (in my case, Orbi). I am now trying to figure out how to try a different DNS provider 🙂 If you have any tips, i would be so grateful! I've never had to work on this and I am way beyond my current skill level. Thank you so much!!

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Only items that would gray out DNS configuration is Armor or Circle being enabled on the RBR...Disabling of these should enabled DNS configurations.

Message 5 of 6
LCV
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you all for your help troubleshooting my issue!! I tried all these things and something must have worked because the internet kicked back into gear. I wish I could say exactly what did it! 🙂 Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I am very grateful!!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7