Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet throttling nightly

troutteaser
Guide

Internet throttling nightly

I have Spectrum (Charter) ISP connected to a Motorola MB7621 cable modem. My ISP service plan is 400 mbps, but I am consistently finding my internet throttled to less than 100 mbps each morning.  Spectrum has confirmed that there is no speed reduction to my area. I have replace the modem (including the model) three times thinking it was the problem.  The odd thing is when I reset my modem or Orbi router my internet speed immediately goes back to 400 mbps and will stay that way until sometime overnight when it again throttles back again.  Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?  Occurs on both my wired and wifi connection.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet throttling nightly

Something to ask NG support about and see if there is any help here. IF the System really hasn't worked since you got it, maybe time to abandon it and go with something different. Sell your system to someone else if possible. 

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

\What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@troutteaser wrote:

I have Spectrum (Charter) ISP connected to a Motorola MB7621 cable modem. My ISP service plan is 400 mbps, but I am consistently finding my internet throttled to less than 100 mbps each morning.  Spectrum has confirmed that there is no speed reduction to my area. I have replace the modem (including the model) three times thinking it was the problem.  The odd thing is when I reset my modem or Orbi router my internet speed immediately goes back to 400 mbps and will stay that way until sometime overnight when it again throttles back again.  Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?  Occurs on both my wired and wifi connection.

Message 2 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

Thank you for the response.  I have tried most of what you have suggested and it has not addressed this "nightly" throttling issue. See my responses below in red.

Firmware is up to date (v2.3.5.30).  House is 2500 sqft and satellites are about 20 feet apart.

What channels are you using? Auto?:  Was on Auto and changed to 6.  Have not changed 5Ghz channel.  Note the throttling is occuring for both wired and wifi. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings:  Have played with all.  Made no difference.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  Don't have Armor.  Don't use Disney Circle.  Have played with the others and no change.  I don't have an option to change Coexistence to 40Mhz.  I can only turn it on or off.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@troutteaser wrote:

Thank you for the response.  I have tried most of what you have suggested and it has not addressed this "nightly" throttling issue. See my responses below in red.

Firmware is up to date (v2.3.5.30).  House is 2500 sqft and satellites are about 20 feet apart. 20 feet if too close, 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto?:  Was on Auto and changed to 6.  Have not changed 5Ghz channel.  Note the throttling is occuring for both wired and wifi. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings:  Have played with all.  Made no difference.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  Don't have Armor.  Don't use Disney Circle.  Have played with the others and no change.  I don't have an option to change Coexistence to 40Mhz.  I can only turn it on or off. If you uncheck the 20/40 Existance check box, this sets 40Mhz only. 

What happens if you disable the RBS and use just the RBR? Does the slow down still happen the next day? if it does, you may want to try downgrading the RBR to a prior version and see. V48 or V44 or v32.

Message 4 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

Unplugged my two Orbi sattelites and so far no more throttling issues.  Can anyone explain why the sattelites would create a throttling problem?  I need the sattelites for coverage, so is there a fix?

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, this helps. At least the RBR is working by itself. 

Lets try connecting just 1 of the RBS to the RBR. Lets see if the problem appears with just one RBS online. Besure to place this RBS out at least 30 feet or more. 

Message 6 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

Plugged in one of the sattelites on opposite side of home (>30 feet) worked fine all day, but again found my internet service throttled back in the morning.  I don't know what is going on between the RBR and RBS.  I have no events logged on my modem.  I do see one of my twentyfour channels that has ~2100 uncorrected packets.  Again, when I reboot the Orbi all is fine until the next morning when I find my system is throttled again.

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the RBS is causing problems. 

Try this, turn OFF the RBS. 

Then go in to the RBRs web page and select remove or disconnect for the RBS seen in connected clients. 

Factory reset the RBS. When the top ring is slowly pulsating WHITE, press the sync button on the RBS and RBR and let it re-add. You can do this in the same room as the RBR then once it's added, place back in remote location. 

If the same problem happens again, I would make contact with NG support and see if you can get some help on this. Seems like the RBS is causing this since you tested with out them and the RBR remains good in that configuration. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 8 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

Also, for the one channel (#24) with uncorrected packets all the other stats look good.  See attached.

Message 9 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

Factory reset did not resolve the throttling issue.  Since I am outside of NG's very small window of free technical support I have opted to take a chance at having both of my Orbi satellites replaced under warranty.  Of course, in typical NG fashion they couldn't send me both satellites under one RMA number, so I have to pay shipping charges for each unit.  If this doesn't work I will likely bite the bullet and switch to another mesh router manufacturer with better technical support. Sad, but just thinking about paying $90 to have NG "try" and figure out why their POS unit isn't working infuriates me.

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how the RMA RBSs work. Hopefully this will fix it. 

Message 11 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

After trying all of the community recommended settings, firmware updates, ISP service checks, cable checks I have to admit Netgear's Orbi has defeated me.  I was hopefull that the new RBS30's would resolve my throtling issue, but after a week of semi-steady state operation the random throttling has returned.  Sometimes it clears itself and othertimes it does not. 

I know this is a NG community, but if folks have recommendations for other mesh router systems that have shown consistent operation and consistent high quality voice & video for webconference calls, I would be interested.  

Message 12 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@troutteaser wrote:

Firmware is up to date (v2.3.5.30). 

Has your Orbi ever worked well?  FW history?

You might try back stepping your FW.

Message 13 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

The Orbi has never really performed.  The FW rollback seems like a step backwards.  I wouldn't even know where to start and suspect going down that path would be months of trial and error.  At this point I'm looking for solutions, inclusive of going to another manufacturer.

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Might give v44 a try on both RBS and RBR. After installation, factory reset both units and setup from scratch. Might keep the RBS off and just test the RBR. IF this doesn't work, sounds like the system hasn't really worked and may have been a bad unit from the get go. Maybe time to ask NG for an RMA if possible. 

Message 15 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@troutteaser wrote:

The Orbi has never really performed.  The FW rollback seems like a step backwards.  I wouldn't even know where to start and suspect going down that path would be months of trial and error.  At this point I'm looking for solutions, inclusive of going to another manufacturer.

Not necessarily.  Without knowing your FW history and how you got where you are recommedations are difficult.  If you're running the FW v2.3.5.30 it's known to have problems and a revert will help and is NOT a step backwards.

Look for user CB01 on here for they just did a revert and it WORKED.  No factory reset no sending the ORBI back.

Message 16 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Might give v44 a try on both RBS and RBR. After installation, factory reset both units and setup from scratch. Might keep the RBS off and just test the RBR. IF this doesn't work, sounds like the system hasn't really worked and may have been a bad unit from the get go. Maybe time to ask NG for an RMA if possible. 

Current FW RBR40:  v2.3.5.30

Current FW RBW30: v2.3.5.6

I'm assuming you're suggesting I revert to V2.3.1.44 for the RBR40.  I don't see that this FW version applies to the RBW30.  What are you FW do you suggest for the RBW30?  Just curious what it is about version 44 that makes you recommend it over the current FW? 

Also know that the throttling issue appears to be related to the satellites.  When the satellites are taking offline I do not have this issue.  I have already replaced the satellites once and the throttling has returned.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If the problem is only with the RBWs and doesn't happens when there OFF, I would presume something with the RBWs is being problematic. Seen others with issues with these RBWs. Wondering if using RBS units would help or continue with this problem. 

@troutteaser wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Current FW RBR40:  v2.3.5.30

Current FW RBW30: v2.3.5.6

I'm assuming you're suggesting I revert to V2.3.1.44 for the RBR40.  I don't see that this FW version applies to the RBW30.  What are you FW do you suggest for the RBW30?  Just curious what it is about version 44 that makes you recommend it over the current FW? 

Also know that the throttling issue appears to be related to the satellites.  When the satellites are taking offline I do not have this issue.  I have already replaced the satellites once and the throttling has returned.

Message 18 of 20
troutteaser
Guide

I appreciate your knowledge and advice.  That's the $450 question.  I could buy a couple of RBS50 satellites from Amazon and see if that corrects the throttling, but I am so turned off by Netgear that I dred investing more time and money into what has become a painful experience.

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask NG support about and see if there is any help here. IF the System really hasn't worked since you got it, maybe time to abandon it and go with something different. Sell your system to someone else if possible. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7