Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet to outbuilding office

Zee123
Aspirant

Internet to outbuilding office

I have a question, there have been a few posts which are similar to mine but I’m still not sure-

Currently I have an Orbi mesh system set up at home (RBR20 + one satellite upstairs)

I have just had an outbuilding constructed which will be an office + “man cave”

I have run a cat7 Ethernet LAN cable from my house to the outbuilding -

My questions are -
Is it ok just to buy another satellite and connect it though the Ethernet cable (if it doesn’t connect by WiFi) and all will work perfectly fine? (WiFi within the building+ Ethernet ports for PC)
If yes - Is there a certain satellite model that I need to get?
Will it all be the same “mesh” network - so my devices will automatically connect
Do I need to do anything in particular with the satellite - ie- put it into AP mode?if it’s in AP mode- will it still give a wireless signal?

Apologies for all the questions - I’m very new to this!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Internet to outbuilding office

I believe once you wirelessly connect the new RBS to the RBR. Then place the new RBS out in the remote location, connect the RBS to the ethernet there then turn ON, it will connect on the wired backhaul for it's connection to the RBR. 

You do not need to wire connect the existing RBS. You can have mixed RBS connections. 

I recommend you disable Daisy Chain on the RBR first. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@Zee123 wrote:
I have a question, there have been a few posts which are similar to mine but I’m still not sure-

Currently I have an Orbi mesh system set up at home (RBR20 + one satellite upstairs)

I have just had an outbuilding constructed which will be an office + “man cave”

I have run a cat7 Ethernet LAN cable from my house to the outbuilding -

My questions are -
Is it ok just to buy another satellite and connect it though the Ethernet cable (if it doesn’t connect by WiFi) and all will work perfectly fine? (WiFi within the building+ Ethernet ports for PC) Yes. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
If yes - Is there a certain satellite model that I need to get? RBS20, RBS40v, or RBS50. Though RBS40v maybe best option for cost. 
Will it all be the same “mesh” network - so my devices will automatically connect. Yes
Do I need to do anything in particular with the satellite - ie- put it into AP mode?if it’s in AP mode- will it still give a wireless signal? No.

Apologies for all the questions - I’m very new to this!

Message 2 of 6
Zee123
Aspirant

Thank so much for the quick reply!

One last question, the graphic you posted showed all the satellites connected via Ethernet

Mu existing satellite is connected wirelessly, if I connect the additional satellite via LAN, do I also need to connect my existing one via LAN or can that still connect wirelessly?
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe once you wirelessly connect the new RBS to the RBR. Then place the new RBS out in the remote location, connect the RBS to the ethernet there then turn ON, it will connect on the wired backhaul for it's connection to the RBR. 

You do not need to wire connect the existing RBS. You can have mixed RBS connections. 

I recommend you disable Daisy Chain on the RBR first. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 6
Zee123
Aspirant

Thank you so much 🙂
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors