Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Interoperability between Orbi RBR20 and cable modem SURFboard SB8200

subramohan
Follower

Interoperability between Orbi RBR20 and cable modem SURFboard SB8200

I wanted to share my findings with the group. The SB8200 has 2 ports. I had connected one of the ports to my desktop and the other port to the Orbi. When I powered up the Orbi, it just could not connect to the internet, no matter what I did. The desktop computer got connected when the modem came up. In order to get the Orbi to work, I disconnected the connection between my desktop computer and the SB8200. I only used one of the ports on SB8200 to connect to the Orbi. After powering up the SB8200, I powered up the Orbi. This time the Orbi was able to connect to the SB8200. 

Summary: Only use one of the ports of the SB8200, when connecting to the Orbi. Do not connect any other device to the SB8200.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Interoperability between Orbi RBR20 and cable modem SURFboard SB8200

The operability for the SB8200 is the two ports can be configured for WAN Link Aggregation. If you have a router that supports WLA, then you would need to enabled this on the modem, then the two ports would be used in this configuration. When WLA isn't enabled ON the modem, then only 1 port works and the other is disabled. This is a feature of the modem. Orbi does not support WLA. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@subramohan wrote:

I wanted to share my findings with the group. The SB8200 has 2 ports. I had connected one of the ports to my desktop and the other port to the Orbi. When I powered up the Orbi, it just could not connect to the internet, no matter what I did. The desktop computer got connected when the modem came up. In order to get the Orbi to work, I disconnected the connection between my desktop computer and the SB8200. I only used one of the ports on SB8200 to connect to the Orbi. After powering up the SB8200, I powered up the Orbi. This time the Orbi was able to connect to the SB8200. 

Summary: Only use one of the ports of the SB8200, when connecting to the Orbi. Do not connect any other device to the SB8200.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7