Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is 72 mbps the best I can hope for on 2.4 ghz? If not, how do I increase the speed?

Pinhigh07
Follower

Is 72 mbps the best I can hope for on 2.4 ghz? If not, how do I increase the speed?

The highest mbps I’ve gotten is 72 on the 2.4 ghz channel.  I’m using it for a NordicTrack x22i that uses a 1080 screen for workout videos.   It will not connect to the 5 ghz where my speeds are great.  

Any way to pump up the 2.4 speed?  Thanks!

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is 72 mbps the best I can hope for on 2.4 ghz? If not, how do I increase the speed?

You'll need to check with the Mfr of the wifi adapter on the NordicTrack to see what connection rates it supports. Not all adapters support higher connection rates. Orbi supports up to 600mb connection rates on 2.4Ghz. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Pinhigh07 wrote:

The highest mbps I’ve gotten is 72 on the 2.4 ghz channel.  I’m using it for a NordicTrack x22i that uses a 1080 screen for workout videos.   It will not connect to the 5 ghz where my speeds are great.  

The following parameters affect the 2.4 GHz throughput. All found under advanced wireless settings:

Namnlöst.png

- Disable the 20/40 MHz coexistence to only have 40 MHz bandwidth channels on 2.4 GHz band

- Enable WMM to prioritize multi.media packets (audio and video)

- Enable Implicit Beamforming to boost wifi range

- Enable MU-MIMO to enable multi spatial streams if the device supports that.

Message 3 of 7
Ragar99
Luminary

MU-MIMO dos NOT affect the 2.4 GHz throughput.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Ragar99 wrote:

MU-MIMO dos NOT affect the 2.4 GHz throughput.

Thanks, you are absolutely right. 2.4 GHz supports only SU-MIMO and not MU-MIMO. This parameter in the advanced wireless settings in the web GUI is only for MU-MIMO. I confirmed this by checking the config parameters:

wla_mu_mimo=1

wlg_mu_mimo=1

wla_2nd_mu_mimo=1

So this parameter only affects the 5Ghz channels for the fronthaul's main wifi channels (wla) and the guest wifi (wlg) and has nothing to do with the 2.4GHz channel (wl). 🙂

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please let us know if you have any progress on this and let us know what the Mfr says about the connection rates your device supports. 

@Pinhigh07 wrote:

Message 6 of 7
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

It is unclear how you are measuring this. I doubt that the Nordic Track itself measures the WiFi speed (could be worng but ... ). Therefore the assumption here is that you are getting slower wifi speeds in the area where the device is or you are just getting slower 2.4GHz sppeds in general everywhere. Is this what you are getting also near your router?

If it is local to the Nordic Track device perhaps you need to move a satellite due to obstructions (though this would not explain your statement about the 5GHz being great, so probably this is not the issue).

If it is general:

If you do not have it already, download something like WiFi analyzer. This could show you any 2.4GHz interference and also signal strength in db on 2.4GHz in different locations (relative to your phone of course).

If you have a number of other 2.4GHz devices going (and many devices are 2.4GHz only), try disabling them to see if you are having any congestion issues ... just to eliminate that. Are any of your devices also hotspots?

Try setting your 2.4GHz channel to a fixed channel, especially if you see interference from overlapping channels.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7