Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is Circle still running on RBR50, despite cancelling and now using SPC?

DCP4971
Luminary

Is Circle still running on RBR50, despite cancelling and now using SPC?

Ok, I may be getting way too far down into the weeds of things and misunderstanding how it all works, but..

Having done a debug log capture on my RBR50 (with 2 x RBS50, all running FW V2.7.3.22), looking through the files produced, I'm curious whether Circle is still present and running in the background.

In the debug logs, there is a debug_circle.zip which when you dig deeper, seems to show activity being tracked, but I'm unsure how much of this is just something that is triggered as part of the debug process or, if Circle is still sitting there runing despite my no longer subscribing and having moved to SPC. I can see what looks like network traffic that being captured in some of the logs, for example stuff going to the Playstation network at a time prior to when the debug was run - which suggests it is still doing 'something'..

I have done a factory reset since stopping using Circle, so assumption was it would have been removed, but maybe that was assuming too much.

Am probably rambling now, but anyone know how to get rid of Circle, if it's still doing stuff in the background, despite no longer being something I am subscribing to?

Is there a way to fully wipe the RBR and re-install the latest FW or, am I getting overly obsessed by this? May also post in Circle/SPC threads too.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is Circle still running on RBR50, despite cancelling and now using SPC?

Yes, this is definitely down in the weeds. Congratulations on discovering and exploring the debug files.

I have never subscribed to any form of Parental Controls (Circle or SPC), and a debug log taken just now has the same debug_circle.zip file in the /tmp folder.  I think you are correct that Netgear constantly updates some part of the Parental Controls software, just at it constantly looks to update the device firmware.  However, I did not find anything in the /tracking/go/ folder.

I did notice that the log shows running the circle daemon with a "nostart" parameter.

My guess is that you are correct.  Some vestige of Circle remains active on the Orbi router.  I have never found any technical descriptions for how either Circle or SPC actually function, nor what the technical differences between them may be.  It could be that they have things in common and have simply left the name 'circle' in place for both products.

Doing a Factory Reset does indeed 'wipe' all user configuration and return the firmware to the default state of the current firmware (V2.7.3.22)  As that has been done already, I am not certain what doing it again would accomplish.

Would you mind sharing the reason behind stopping use of Circle?

Message 2 of 6
DCP4971
Luminary

Thanks for the reply.

I do love a bit of weeding - did the same with Apple at one point with an intermitent issue with an iPad - they eventually accepted there was a problem as I could see a particular error occuring in the log files they kept getting me to send them that they kept saying didn't show anything - of course, they might have just wanted to shut me up!

It does to me look like there is some remnant of Circle that is loitering, but to what extent, I'm not sure - I'd just like to be rid of it full stop. Agreed on the futility of another reset.

I think I binned Circle it because it was overly complex, not very reliable and not easily managed. The Netgear SPC is better integrated with the Orbi App, seems to give more flexibility in controlling what the kids are doing.

I've been trying to work out why the Playstation speed tests are so poor when the PS4/PS5 is connected to Orbi, but when it's directly into the ISP router (when in router mode) it gets nigh-on the 1GB/50Mbps download/upload that I am paying for. Just can't figure out what route the traffic is taking when run through Orbi/NSPC/Circle vs standard routing through the ISP.. It just struck me that SPC or Circle could be sending traffc on a wild goose chase, so started digging in the weeds..

Message 3 of 6
DCP4971
Luminary

And, there doesn't seem to be an option to contact support for Netgear SPC, despite paying for the service..

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Aside from the community forums for Circle and SPC (which do not seem to have a lot of participation)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/bd-p/en-home-smart-parental-controls 

There is a support page for "How do I get help with my NETGEAR subscription service?

https://kb.netgear.com/000063635/How-do-I-get-help-with-my-NETGEAR-subscription-service 

I have never subscribed to a Netgear subscription service, so have no experience with this.

Message 5 of 6
DCP4971
Luminary

Ah-ha!

Thankyou, I'd not spied the Subscription Service option.

Will give them a whirl!

Cheers

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7