Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is ORBI RBR/RBS20 compatible with AC3000?

Netrira
Aspirant

Is ORBI RBR/RBS20 compatible with AC3000?

I set up RB 20s a couple years ago but need better coverage. Am considering refurbished AC3000... or other models that could be combined with what I have to increase overall coverage in two adjacent brick 7000 sq ft buildings and about 7000 sq ft outdoors along side.

i welcome and appreciate comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is ORBI RBR/RBS20 compatible with AC3000?

@Netrira wrote:

I set up RB 20s a couple years ago but need better coverage. Am considering refurbished AC3000... or other models that could be combined with what I have to increase overall coverage in two adjacent brick 7000 sq ft buildings and about 7000 sq ft outdoors

More information would be helpful.  Are the RB20's currently (a) in one building and you want to expand to two other areas, or (b) both buildings are now covered?

What exactly do you have now? (a single RBR20 router and RBS20 satellite?  a pair of identical systems?

What is the general shape of these buildings (long and narrow? more squarish?)

Can you locate Orbi units anywhere in these buildings or are there restrictions on placement?

Do you have a pathway between the buildings to run ethernet cable? (brick is hard on WiFi signals).

In general, an RBR50/RBS50 system is a good foundation.  RBS20 satellites are compatible, but the RBR20 routers will become "surplus".

For outside, Netgear sells an outdoor rated access point (RBS50Y).  Almost the same effect would be created if an Orbi satellite could be placed inside a window facting the outdoor area.

Message 2 of 3
Netrira
Aspirant

Re: Is ORBI RBR/RBS20 compatible with AC3000?

Thanks for your reply!

Two brick buildings approx 50 x 130 ft sharing long wall. All equipment in primary building near common (shared) wall and spaced with router at midpoint and satellites near each end. 

I appreciate your detail and will study more but be happy to abandon/ replace router and add two more satellites (probably in the second building) which I would assume would do a lot to increase my coverage area.

Since I have some coverage in the lot next to the second building I’ll assume the additional units closer to that outside space would probably get me the coverage I need.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7