Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is Orbi a mesh network?

Quickslide
Follower

Is Orbi a mesh network?

Is Orbi a true mesh network?

I need to be able add Satellites to my network (when they become available). Do they satellites talk to one another and connect back to the router?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Wodpqldcmff

It is star topology so you would want the main router unit in the middle of the satellites each satellite needs to communicate to the router you can not do satellite to satellite.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Nope. It's an extender network with a high speed wireless backhaul (1733Mbps). YMMV, on the backhaul as it is wireless, and environment plays a role in wireless technology. They connect to the router only. Not to each other.

Message 2 of 6
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The question is: what problem are you trying to solve?  What Orbi does is provide whole home coverage, under a single network name, seamless roaming, single management view.  it doesn't use the traditional mesh protocols because they trade off speed for coverage but instead, it leverages the tri-band to connect via the dedicated wireless connection.  

You are able to purchase additional satellites and add them to an existing system and they'll inherit the components of the system (single SSID, seamless roaming, etc).  

Message 3 of 6
Wodpqldcmff
Aspirant

If I had a building that was shaped like a rectangle, and lets say the building is 1000 feet long, could I install an Orbi router at one end (RBS50), and individual RBS50's or RBW30's in a daisy chain type installation, where if the furthest Orbi (RBS50 or RBW30) from the router could not talk back to the 1st router, would that furthest Orbi attempt to mesh with the closest Orbi?

It would look like this...

RBS50  (then 150 feet)  RBS50  (then 150 feet)  then RBS 50  (then 150 feet)  "would this next AP have to communicate back to the RBS50 router or the closet Orbi?

Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Wodpqldcmff

It is star topology so you would want the main router unit in the middle of the satellites each satellite needs to communicate to the router you can not do satellite to satellite.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 6
Wodpqldcmff
Aspirant

Bummer, but thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation