Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is Orbi an option UK home

Dragonuck76
Aspirant

Is Orbi an option UK home

Hi read many reviews about Orbi and the issues that appear with disconnects, guest setup, hiding internal devices from guest or allow etc....
The house is and old UK miners house brick 3 bedroom and the garden is standard size for the UK about 70 feet long.
We have BT fibre and the wifi is rubbish. Kitchen next to living room hardly a signal and forget about upstairs or the garden...
So I realize I can turn off wifi to use the Orbi, if this is the route I take... to note BT router is the latest HUB I'm told...
So I guess is orbi rbk50 or latest pro the option and are these teething issues as above fixed or is ubiquiti the option if so any recommendations to review...
Devices connected are Xbox 360 Samsung smartthings hub hive kodi box and Smart tv all wired connected to hub
Wifi devices 2 mobiles 3 tablets xbox one
3 laptops
Our BB speed is 54mb
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is Orbi an option UK home

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 12
Dragonuck76
Aspirant

The house in total is 1500 square feet (That's total for both floors) the back yard about 2100 square feet

What is the best option with the Orbi direct connect to ISP by removing router and satellite upstairs to other end ...
Again I have purchased yet and my concern is the orbi and the reviews on forums ad this community of its instalbilty
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

1500 sq ft is probably not big enough for a Orbi sysetm. since 1 wifi router can cover up to around that kind of Sq Ft on it's own. Having too much wifi in a small area causes problems. Satellites needs a good starting distance between the base router and satellites, 30 feet ot begin with. I have a 5000sq ft home and use just the base router and one satellite or extender 40 feet in between. For your configuration, maybe just one base router and if your wanting out door coverage, install a outdoor satellite, RBS##Y

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem and router you currently use? .

Message 4 of 12
Den_
Guide

I have a 3 bedroom house (about the same size as yours). My garden is about 100ft long. I originally had mine connected to a BT Smart Hub 6 which had a terrible signal to the master bedroom (30 feet from the router).

Installing the ORBI at the front of the house as an access point, and the satalite (via wireless backhaul) in the master bedroom (which had terrible reception) now gives me a signal throughout the house and gardens. I have a PS4 and XBOX One X connected to the satellite by CAT6, and about 20 other devices (Samsung Smart, Android, Apple, etc) and have never had the system reboot on its own. I check the debug page every month, and it's still going strong. I could easily max out my 76Mb connection.

I have since moved to Virgin and have a 360Mb connection. Connecting from my Galaxy S8 and running OOKLA speed test in the bedroom connected to the satellite, I get the full 360Mb transfer speed.

I would thoroughly recommend the ORBI for your house and WiFi connection.
Message 5 of 12
Dragonuck76
Aspirant

Cheees Den

Message 6 of 12
AC641
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

1500 sq ft is probably not big enough for a Orbi sysetm. since 1 wifi router can cover up to around that kind of Sq Ft on it's own. Having too much wifi in a small area causes problems. Satellites needs a good starting distance between the base router and satellites, 30 feet ot begin with. I have a 5000sq ft home and use just the base router and one satellite or extender 40 feet in between. For your configuration, maybe just one base router and if your wanting out door coverage, install a outdoor satellite, RBS##Y

You're applying US parameters to UK homes that are predominantly brick built and, therefore, WiFi ranges tend to be smaller than US houses - predominantly framed in timber.  Additionally, the satellites are not available outside the US.

Message 7 of 12
Dragonuck76
Aspirant

Are the issues of hiding devices on the internal network resolved for guests account setups... So e.g. I can give nas access to one guest user but not to another
Message 8 of 12
AC641
Luminary

@Dragonuck76 wrote:
Are the issues of hiding devices on the internal network resolved for guests account setups... So e.g. I can give nas access to one guest user but not to another

I'm not aware of a means of allowing access to a NAS (that is part of your main network) via the Guest network.  That said I have not looked into this as my Guest network is for visitors, the main network for family.

If logged on to the Guest network then elements of the 'Home/Main' network are visible but not accessible.  At least this is how it is for me.  Netgear is aware of this but doesn't seem in any rush to correct it.  For home use it's not a massive issue, just poor implementation of the feature.  Some mesh solutions don't give you the option of a Guest network.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, the OP did say they are using a satellite...So reason why I posted info.

And of course, building materials will always be a factor. So placement will be key.

I persume the RBS##Y is available outside the USA?

@AC641 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You're applying US parameters to UK homes that are predominantly brick built and, therefore, WiFi ranges tend to be smaller than US houses - predominantly framed in timber.  Additionally, the satellites are not available outside the US.

Message 10 of 12
AC641
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And of course, building materials will always be a factor. So placement will be key.

@AC641 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Apologies, of course the satellites are available.  It's the outdoor satellite that is not available outside the USA.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, will keep that in mind. Smiley Wink

@AC641 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@AC641 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Apologies, of course the satellites are available.  It's the outdoor satellite that is not available outside the USA.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7