Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is Orbi satellite registered to previous owners?

Polyvios
Follower

Is Orbi satellite registered to previous owners?

Hi all,
I have an Orbi RBK 50 system. Router and satellite. I’d like to buy an additional RBS50 satellite second hand. I know the routers are registered to previous NetGear accounts but was wondering if the same applies for the satellite?
Can I simply buy a secondhand satellite and add it to my system with no previous owner having access to it remotely?

Many thanks
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Polyvios wrote:
Hi all,
I have an Orbi RBK 50 system. Router and satellite. I’d like to buy an additional RBS50 satellite second hand. I know the routers are registered to previous NetGear accounts but was wondering if the same applies for the satellite?
Can I simply buy a secondhand satellite and add it to my system with no previous owner having access to it remotely?

Many thanks

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can buy one and add it to your system. The prior owners won't be able to access it. 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Polyvios wrote:
Hi all,

Many thanks

Message 3 of 4

@Polyvios wrote:

I know the routers are registered to previous NetGear accounts but was wondering if the same applies for the satellite?

I don't know what you mean  by "registered" or where you read about this, but routers and satellites are all "registered" in one sense.

@plemans has already provided the answer you need, but it might help to correct the bit that you "know".

When you buy any Netgear device you can "register" it on MyNetgear. That is essentially there for support purposes, the 90 days setup support and the one year (or more) warranty. You can't transfer that registration to someone else because used devices are not eligible for that sort of support.

Registering on MyNetgear does not give you any control over the router. You have to take further steps before that becomes possible

The only way in which that can happen is if you "register" the device for something like Anywhere Access. This uses the Netgear cloud service as an intermediary.

Before you can use these services, you have to enable them on the device you are using. So no one can sneak in the backdoor and take over control of your device.

The only time when people have problems is when they get a used device and try to set up Anywhere Access. They can get a message saying their router is "Already registered". That refers to the cloud service,  not MyNetgear.

If you hit that brick wall, you can either ask the original owner to "unregister" from Anywhere Access or ask one of the Netgear moderators to intervene and fix the problem.

By the way, there is no need to move your question to another section. That boilerplate response just wastes everyone's time and clutters up the community. This is a generic question, best answered here, where there is plenty of traffic, rather than being buried somewhere where no one else will read it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7