Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is a Guest Network on a separate IP Subnet ?

e_John
Aspirant

Is a Guest Network on a separate IP Subnet ?

So, is the the guest network on the ORBI on a separate subnet?  If so, I get it.  If not, then now is a guest network secure?

Currently, I run separate hardware for a guest network, and both the internal LAN and the guest network connect to separate routers (with separate IP Subnets and do routing capability between them), and then into separate Ethernet ports to my ISP router.

I realize I am being quite secure by partioning off the guest network, but as I upgrade my current LAN wireless to ORBI, I would like to understand if I can use the guest network, or I should keep my hardware separated guest wireless.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is a Guest Network on a separate IP Subnet ?

@e_John wrote:

So, is the the guest network on the ORBI on a separate subnet?  If so, I get it.  If not, then now is a guest network secure?

Although IP addresses are assigned from the same DHCP subnet, it is a setting in the Guest setup screen as to whether they are allowed to "see" devices on the primary network.  i.e. It is a function within the router that keeps track of which devices are which.  As such, "Guest" only applies to WiFi devices.  Anything "wired" to the router is part of the primary network.  As far as I can recall, this is the way most residential WiFi routers are set up.

You might be able to maintain your current system by setting up the Guest system in the Orbi DMZ.  Of course, that will not duplicate the Orbi features.  As delivered, Orbi uses the same WiFi channel for both primary and Guest on the same radios.  i.e. if the house requires one router and three satellites for coverage with an Orbi, it will probably require one router and three satellites for a separate Guest network.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7