Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is an Orbi system suitable for remote IP cameras that require PoE?

jlmnjem
Follower

Is an Orbi system suitable for remote IP cameras that require PoE?

I'm setting up a security camera system with cameras in my house and in a detached garage. The IP cameras require PoE so the three cameras I will install in the detached garage will require Cat5e cable to a power source and also connectivity to the network. I get a weak wifi signal in the detached garage from my current Netgear AC1200 router (Model R6220) located in the 2nd floor of the house and I'm considering an Orbi system for the connectivity. I want to replace my current router, which is in the front middle part of the house and put one of the Orbi satellites in a bedroom at the end of the house closest to the detached garage. I would put the other satellite in the detached garage to complete the extended connectivity. I'm assuming I would operate one or both of the satellites in AP mode to accomplish this extended connectivity? Also, do the ethernet ports on the satellite support PoE, or will I need to use a PoE switch between the cameras and the satellite in the detached garage? I have a Netgear GS305P switch for this purpose, if necessary.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is an Orbi system suitable for remote IP cameras that require PoE?

The Orbi does not support PoE. If you have a switch that does, then it maybe possible. However depends on if cameras use a central hub to record to or can you view each camera indvidually. Something to talk to the camera MFr about to see what they recommend using to connect remotely to there cameras. If they support standard networking protocols, should be able to with the Orbi. 

FYI, Orbi doesn't like Managed switches, or the IGMP protocols thats on managed switches, if you can disable IGMP procols if you have a managed switch, then Orbi will be fine. Non managed switches are preferred. 

If you alread have a router, you could continue to use it and use the Orbi system in AP mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is an Orbi system suitable for remote IP cameras that require PoE?

The Orbi does not support PoE. If you have a switch that does, then it maybe possible. However depends on if cameras use a central hub to record to or can you view each camera indvidually. Something to talk to the camera MFr about to see what they recommend using to connect remotely to there cameras. If they support standard networking protocols, should be able to with the Orbi. 

FYI, Orbi doesn't like Managed switches, or the IGMP protocols thats on managed switches, if you can disable IGMP procols if you have a managed switch, then Orbi will be fine. Non managed switches are preferred. 

If you alread have a router, you could continue to use it and use the Orbi system in AP mode. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7