Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it better to position Orbi router on higher level than satellite?

va3lim
Aspirant

Is it better to position Orbi router on higher level than satellite?

I’ve a Netgear Orbi AC3000 (RBR50 & RBS50). In general, I think it’s better to place a router at a higher floor on a multi-story house. right? However, I’m a bit confused why Netgear recommended to place the router on the main floor and the satellite on the higher floor. Does it matter which is placed higher than the other? Should I place the satellite on the 2nd floor & the router on the main floor? I don’t plan to buy another satellite (not planning for satellite-router-satellite type of setup) as the current system is able to cover my entire 2000 sq ft house. Thanks in advance for your comments.

https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: Is it better to position Orbi router on higher level than satellite?

I don't think this makes a big difference, but it can be because of the location of the backhaul antennas on the top of the router!

RBK50 Antennas.PNG

I have the router on the ground floor and the satellite on the basement and I had very good wireless backhaul before I changed to wired backhaul.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between Orbi router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.

@va3lim wrote:
I’ve a Netgear Orbi AC3000 (RBR50 & RBS50). In general, I think it’s better to place a router at a higher floor on a multi-story house. right? However, I’m a bit confused why Netgear recommended to place the router on the main floor and the satellite on the higher floor. Does it matter which is placed higher than the other? Should I place the satellite on the 2nd floor & the router on the main floor? I don’t plan to buy another satellite (not planning for satellite-router-satellite type of setup) as the current system is able to cover my entire 2000 sq ft house. Thanks in advance for your comments.

https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 3 of 5
va3lim
Aspirant

So as long as the router & satellite are within 30 ft, it does not matter which is placed higher.  Correct?

PS. I was under the impression that the router has a stonger signal than satellite.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No shouldn't matter. There will be wifi coverage and if you can get the wifi over lap in a sweet spot between the Base router and Satellite, you'll be fine. 

@va3lim wrote:

So as long as the router & satellite are within 30 ft, it does not matter which is placed higher.  Correct?

PS. I was under the impression that the router has a stonger signal than satellite.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7