Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to give an Android VPN Client an IP on the same subnet as the rest of my network?

jlittle988
Aspirant

Is it possible to give an Android VPN Client an IP on the same subnet as the rest of my network?

I have an Orbi RBR40 router, and I have it set up for OpenVPN access. I am able to connect my desktop (Win10) to the VPN with no problem, and it is assigned an IP on the .1 subnet, the same as the rest of my network. When I connect from my Galaxy S10, it gets an IP on the .2 subnet, and is not able to talk to devices on my network. Is there some way to give it an IP on my main subnet?

Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: Is it possible to give an Android VPN Client an IP on the same subnet as the rest of my network?

VPN clients will always get IP addresses different from the LAN subnet but all subnets should be possible to reach each other as there is no rule blocking this.

In my iPhone I get the IP address 192.168.2.1 when connected as VPN client but I can reach all my LAN network devices.

Message 2 of 5
jlittle988
Aspirant

Re: Is it possible to give an Android VPN Client an IP on the same subnet as the rest of my network?

Ok it seems only certain things don't work. I am able to access webpages hosted by different devices on my network over the VPN, but I can't connect to a Samba share with a client on my phone. Is there any way to make this work? Could I add a second interface to the server hosting the Samba share and assign it an IP on the .2 subnet to allow my phone to see it?

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@jlittle988 wrote:

.......... but I can't connect to a Samba share with a client on my phone. Is there any way to make this work? ..................

Please check the following link: https://openvpn.net/community-resources/connecting-to-a-samba-share-over-openvpn/

I hope that this will help.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

VPN clients will always get IP addresses different from the LAN subnet ...

That's not the full truth I'm afraid. It depends if the client is using the TUN or the TAP mode. The TAP - establishing a direct bridge connection or extension to the LAN (original subnet) so th client wold receive an IP from the remote LAN - isn't available on mobile OpenVPN clients because iOS,iPadOS, or Android (except if rooted - depreciated) does not allow to install the required Kernel module and driver. For the TUN mode, Netgear has hardcoded (!!!) the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet on the TAP interface, so the VPN tunnel does run on a routed intermediate subnet. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7