Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Is it possible to "force" Outdoor Orbi to always use 2.4ghz connection type?

OrbiOutdoorHelp
Aspirant

I'm a few weeks into the Orbi family and so far I love my Orbi mesh Wifi, and I love my Outdoor Orbi! However there's a recurring problem that happens about once every 2 days, I've noticed. Every so often my Orbi Outdoor unit will switch over to 5g connection type, and my internet either drops out completely or gets so slow as to be unusable. Whenever this happens I check the app, and sure enough all my outdoor devices are connecting via 5g instead of 2.4ghz. Whenever things are in 2.4ghz mode, everything is gravy and running smoothly. (My Outdoor Orbi is about 150 yards away from my house, for reference.) Is there anything I can do to ensure my Outdoor Orbi will only allow my devices to connect in 2.4ghz mode? Why does it switch connection types every so often? It's really annoying.  To clarify - I'm only looking to disable 5g for JUST my Outdoor Orbi, not the entire Orbi mesh network. Is this possible?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is it possible to "force" Outdoor Orbi to always use 2.4ghz connection type?

Try moving the RBSY closer to the RBR. 150feet is too far away. 60ff is about max distance from the main RBR or an RBS if daisy chained. 

All RBS use a 5Ghz wireless backhaul to connect with. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Is it possible to "force" Outdoor Orbi to always use 2.4ghz connection type?

@OrbiOutdoorHelp wrote:

I'm a few weeks into the Orbi family and so far I love my Orbi mesh Wifi, and I love my Outdoor Orbi! However there's a recurring problem that happens about once every 2 days, I've noticed. Every so often my Orbi Outdoor unit will switch over to 5g connection type, and my internet either drops out completely or gets so slow as to be unusable. Whenever this happens I check the app, and sure enough all my outdoor devices are connecting via 5g instead of 2.4ghz. Whenever things are in 2.4ghz mode, everything is gravy and running smoothly. (My Outdoor Orbi is about 150 yards away from my house, for reference.) Is there anything I can do to ensure my Outdoor Orbi will only allow my devices to connect in 2.4ghz mode? Why does it switch connection types every so often? It's really annoying.  To clarify - I'm only looking to disable 5g for JUST my Outdoor Orbi, not the entire Orbi mesh network. Is this possible?

No its not as far as I know. The orbi's literally only use the 2.4ghz for backhaul as a fallback when 5ghz is out of range or blocked. They're designed to use just the 5ghz because its a much higher throughput (speed) band. 

And 150m is pretty far for wireless. I'm simply impressed that it actually reaches. Usually I recommend people use a point to point system when they need to connect something that far away. 

Something you could try though? If you're indoor orbis have plenty of coverage, you could turn the "transmit power" down on the 5ghz band. 

if you log into the orbi, go to advanced-----advanced setup------wireless settings.  

And then try turning the 5ghz broadcast power down to 75%

Maybe that'd be enough the 5ghz wouldn't reach the outdoor orbi. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'm not sure if this will impact the backhaul transmit power though. 🙂
Message 4 of 4