Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on a RBR50 on mac Os Catalina

tevatron44
Aspirant

Is it possible to separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on a RBR50 on mac Os Catalina

I have an Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites and an Orbi voice (in satellite mode).  I am running Orbi Firmware version 2.5.1.16 and Mac Os version Catalina 10.15.5.  

Mistakenly purchased a device that will only connect to a 2.4 GHz and the device through 2 different procedures in its proprietary app, will not connect to my Wi-Fi.  

Was unable to follow some instructions on the forum from 2018 and 2019, as they seem to pertain to older version of the firmware and Mac Os

If this is possible, are there any current procedures to address besides getting a new device that will connect to 5 GHz?

thanks

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is it possible to separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on a RBR50 on mac Os Catalina

@tevatron44 wrote:

Mistakenly purchased a device that will only connect to a 2.4 GHz and the device through 2 different procedures in its proprietary app, will not connect to my Wi-Fi.

If this is possible, are there any current procedures to address besides getting a new device that will connect to 5 GHz?

If you can identify the device, there is a good chance that someone on the forum has installed one and can point to a solution.

The Orbi WiFi includes both a 2.4G and a 5G channel.  Devices which have only a 2.4G radio chip in them (the least costly and perfectly adequate for what they need to accomplish) cannot detect the 5G WiFi - because they have no need to.

There are some devices that have smartphone apps that are programmed poorly.  For those devices, sometimes the smartphone has to be connected to the Orbi at 2.4G for the app to work.  This is a procedure that has worked for many people:

• Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password (not the WiFi password)
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
  • Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel"
    This will not affect any devices which are currently attached to the Orbi at 5G.
  • On the smartphone settings, "forget" the Orbi WiFi
  • Search for WiFi networks and select the Orbi WiFi
  • Enter the WiF password and connect
  • At this point, open the IoT app and go through the steps
  • After the device is connected, reverse the steps
    Check the box "Broadcast SSID"
    "Forget Orbi WiFi"
    Search for and connect.

Please give this a try and comment on how it went.

Message 2 of 7
tevatron44
Aspirant

Re: Is it possible to separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on a RBR50 on mac Os Catalina

Thank you for replying.  It’s very strange, followed the steps, but my smartphone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) seems to somehow keep connecting to the 5 GHz band.  I tried to forget the network, turn off Wi-Fi and even after that restarted the phone, but both the Orbi App device manager and router page on my computer keeps showing the phone reconnecting to the 5 GHz band. Due to this, the device in its IoT app still says it can't connect.

Is there anything else to try? 

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Still wondering what the device is?

Message 4 of 7
tevatron44
Aspirant

The new device I'm trying to connect is an "Ivation 4,500 Sq Ft Smart Wi-Fi Energy Start dehumidifier" 

I will try a search on the forum for that device

Message 5 of 7
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

If your iPhone keeps connecting to the 5GHz band, then try moving further away from your router and satellite with the phone. The 2.4GHz signal has a longer range than 5GHz, but a slower bandwidth.  So if you are 50 feet or more away from the router/satellite,  your phone may change to the 2.4GHz signal.  Once it does, then do the setup of the IoT device.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be aware that there seems to be a time limit with some iOS or Android devices that will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio for a short period of time before changing automatically to the 5Ghz SSID, even though it's been hidden. The SSID is hidden only, thus the signal is still present. So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was.

@tevatron44 wrote:

Thank you for replying.  It’s very strange, followed the steps, but my smartphone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) seems to somehow keep connecting to the 5 GHz band.  I tried to forget the network, turn off Wi-Fi and even after that restarted the phone, but both the Orbi App device manager and router page on my computer keeps showing the phone reconnecting to the 5 GHz band. Due to this, the device in its IoT app still says it can't connect.

Is there anything else to try? 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7