Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it safe to downgrade Orbi firmware from 2.7.3.22 to older ones?

thebadpete
Guide

Is it safe to downgrade Orbi firmware from 2.7.3.22 to older ones?

My Orbi RBR50 was on older firmware (2.3.5.30) and I manually disabled auto-updates and splitted the SSID's to discreet 2.4GHz/5GHZ's. This was due to some of my devices being old For some reason, today I found that the firmware got updated to latest 2.7.3.22. I lost the split SSID's and some of the devices stop working. 

It looks like I cannot do the same trick anymore (telnet is disabled - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/... ). Is it safe for me to downgrade the Orbi firmwire back to my previous version? Anyone has done downgrades before?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is it safe to downgrade Orbi firmware from 2.7.3.22 to older ones?

I believe you can. 

Use a wired PC and FireFox broswer to downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly...

You can prevent an auto update if you put a host router in front of the Orbi router. 

@thebadpete wrote:

My Orbi RBR50 was on older firmware (2.3.5.30) and I manually disabled auto-updates and splitted the SSID's to discreet 2.4GHz/5GHZ's. This was due to some of my devices being old For some reason, today I found that the firmware got updated to latest 2.7.3.22. I lost the split SSID's and some of the devices stop working. 

It looks like I cannot do the same trick anymore (telnet is disabled - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/... ). Is it safe for me to downgrade the Orbi firmwire back to my previous version? Anyone has done downgrades before?

Message 2 of 6
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

.Is it safe for me to downgrade the Orbi firmwire back to my previous version? Anyone has done .downgrades before?

I tried and Netgear auto-update got me again the next night.   Per this group there is no way to avoid the auto-update unless Netgear changes their policy/procedures.  Good luck!!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
Tvacks
Aspirant

Same happened to me. Really screwed the pooch here ! I did not ask to have my router changed. I too had auto updates turned off. Thanks for blowing my time Netgear. Send me your new hardware if you want me totally up to date. I don’t come into your equipment and make changes.
Just about done with you guys.
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@thebadpete wrote:

Is it safe for me to downgrade the Orbi firmwire back to my previous version? Anyone has done downgrades before?

There are two separate issues in these questions.

What does safe mean?  Netgear's release notes refer to (a) fixing the DNS issue from last March when Daylight Saving Time and Traffic Meter are enabled, and (b) Fixes security vulnerabilities (which are not identified).  Leaving Traffic Meter disabled takes care of the first situation.  I have no earthly idea how a person would evaluate the security fixes.  Are they serious?  Relevant to ordinary users?  No idea.

My own guess is that those vulnerabilities are mostly aimed at threats from inside the LAN or when the web interface is exposed to the internet.  Safe in the sense of, "will my Orbi funtion if it is rolled back?", the answer is certainly "it wll".  It worked with that firmware for months (or years).  It will work again.

The issue with loading previous firmware is how to prevent the Orbi from updating itself right back to V2.7.3.22.  There are two methods which have been proven to work:

1. Insert a router ahead of the Orbi which blocks access to Netgear's firmware update web sites.  No access equals no auto-update. Under $50 will buy a decent router which will do this.  Put the Orbi in AP mode and that new router can be used for port forwarding.
  2. Load previous firmware which supports telnet and change the file firmware_version to start with a larger number than any Orbi firmware, such as V9.2.7.104. The downside with this method is that this file will get replaced any time the Orbi reboots, such as after a power outage, and the hack will have to be done again.

It is truly distressing that firmware V2.7.3.22 has caused horrible problems for so many people and Netgear's firmware development/release process takes so long.  That DNS problem arose in March (with Daylight Saving Time) and firmware to fix the issue came out in August (5 months).

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

There ARE ways to avoid Orbi Auto update. 

1. Host router upstream to block NGs services. 

2. Telnet and change configuration versions with in telnet. 

3. Tennet and change auto update service to not trigger. 

@SLK-Purdue wrote:

.Is it safe for me to downgrade the Orbi firmwire back to my previous version? Anyone has done .downgrades before?

I tried and Netgear auto-update got me again the next night.   Per this group there is no way to avoid the auto-update unless Netgear changes their policy/procedures.  Good luck!!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7