Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it wise to manually update Orbi to the latest firmware?

AlexisG
Aspirant

Is it wise to manually update Orbi to the latest firmware?

I just bought an Orbi because I wanted my WiFi to be more not less stable.

The admin panel shows that the router and satellite are on firmware v2.0.1.4, and that there is no new firmware available. But when I go to the site site and read the forums I can see that there is newer firmware available.

Is this because the newer firmware is not stable, so it is not presented for automatic update? Or is this because the admin panel’s firmware checker does not work?

In general, what’s the best rule to follow if I want the system to be maximally stable? Both of the interpretations above suggest Netgear is not making the system both reliable and easy to use, which is worrying.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

Re: Is it wise to manually update Orbi to the latest firmware?

@AlexisG wrote:

Is this because the newer firmware is not stable, so it is not presented for automatic update? Or is this because the admin panel’s firmware checker does not work?

This is a realtively unique, one-off, situation.  There have been significant problems with the firmware and many users were getting frequent disconnects.  To enable a rapid improvement, Netgear took the unprecedented step of making a Beta firmware version available as a general download (rather than to a select circle of testers), but they have only made it available via links in this thread on this forum. They have not made it available via auto-update.Their rationale is that any people who aren't experiencing problems will not need to know about this version. 

Once the latest crop of Beta versions are ready for prime-time they will be released as normal and auto-updates will be turned back on.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 6
AlexisG
Aspirant

Thanks so much for this info. It’s very helpful but it still doesn’t fit what I’m seeing.

I see a newer version of firmware, v2.1.3.4, being distributed not in that thread but directly here on the Netgear support site: https://kb.netgear.com/000055562/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-3-4

Nothing on the page suggests it is a beta so I would normally presume this is a stable final release. But the Orbi’s admin panel still says that it is using the latest version of the version, despite that it is using a version older than v2.1.3.4.

It’s difficult to know how to interpret this situation. That difficulty is itself a kind of bug, imho.

Alexis

Message 3 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

AlexisG wrote:

Thanks so much for this info. It’s very helpful but it still doesn’t fit what I’m seeing.

I see a newer version of firmware, v2.1.3.4, being distributed not in that thread but directly here on the Netgear support site: https://kb.netgear.com/000055562/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-3-4

Nothing on the page suggests it is a beta so I would normally presume this is a stable final release. But the Orbi’s admin panel still says that it is using the latest version of the version, despite that it is using a version older than v2.1.3.4.

It’s difficult to know how to interpret this situation. That difficulty is itself a kind of bug, imho.

Alexis

Hi Alexis,

Yes - I take your point that it's confusing without any clear advice from Netgear.  The very first post in that thread that I referred you to (by a Netgear employee) is the closest that we have to any official advice. That initial post is being updated as developments occur.  Originally they only had firmware released for the RBK50, but have recently amended that first post with the firmware releases for the AC2200 family of devices.

I was unaware that they've now put the 2.1.3.4. version up on the main website. I guess that they're become increasingly confident and it's close to moving out of Beta.  

However, the main point - that this is an unusual situation and not the norm -  is the big take-away.

I'm prepared to stay with the Orbi, notwitstanding all the muck around because it's got great potential.  Once they get the kinks ironed out, this is going to be a very good system.   

Message 4 of 6
RobertHBJ
Aspirant

Hi Alexis, bascially if you dont have any problem with Orbi system. You dont need to get on the website and check for firmware update manually, just check auto-update. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The two versions, one posted in this forum and the one posted on the official download site are the same. Both are usable and ready to use and can be manually downloaded and installed. I recommend using IE11 or FF browser for doing the FW update. Update the satellite first, then the router, THEN, Factory reset all units including the router. Then setup from scratch. This needs to be done on this version of FW. 

@AlexisG wrote:

I just bought an Orbi because I wanted my WiFi to be more not less stable.

The admin panel shows that the router and satellite are on firmware v2.0.1.4, and that there is no new firmware available. But when I go to the site site and read the forums I can see that there is newer firmware available.

In general, what’s the best rule to follow if I want the system to be maximally stable? Both of the interpretations above suggest Netgear is not making the system both reliable and easy to use, which is worrying.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7