Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is my Orbi RBK50 supposed to be connected to my old ISP router ethernet port?

npettersson
Aspirant

Is my Orbi RBK50 supposed to be connected to my old ISP router ethernet port?

I thought the Orbi would replace my old router from my ISP? However, it's just connected to my old router ethernet port at the back.

Feels like it should be connected straight to my fibre box. Seems like running internet through too many devices.

Also, my old wifi networks are still accessible obviously, so my house now has multiple wifi connections!

When I removed the Orbi and connected it straight to ym fibre box it said no internet (network working fine though).

Any tips?

p.s. I've tried turning it off and on again 🙂

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is my Orbi RBK50 supposed to be connected to my old ISP router ethernet port?

Yes, it should be connected directly to the fiber ONT (Optical Network Terminator). Remove the ISP router.

Message 2 of 4
npettersson
Aspirant

Thanks, but when I removed it there was no internet connection?

Should I start the wizard again from scratch?

Or are there some settings I can get from the ISP router while it is connected and then configure them in the Orbi?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@npettersson wrote:

Thanks, but when I removed it there was no internet connection?

Should I start the wizard again from scratch?

Or are there some settings I can get from the ISP router while it is connected and then configure them in the Orbi?

The obvious next step is to connect a computer (PC or laptop) directly to the Fiber unit with an ethernet cable.  If it connects to the internet, then an Orbi should.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7