Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is my internal performance OK

Jroach
Luminary

Is my internal performance OK

Looking to see if I am pushing my ORBI's to the limit or if I have another problem.

Problem: I have to run the Security Cameras at a lower res and lower fps that I would like.

Here is s snapshot of my stats:

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 44

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

...........  Same with the 2.4 vs 5, both drop frames.

One last thing to test! Packet drops can also be caused by the fragmentation thresholds. Default CTS/RTS Threshold is 2347 for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Please try to change those something lower, start with 2307 and then try different values between this figure and 2347.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 44

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

There are far more performance measurements than what is found in this table.... each Orbi is a CPU in itself with related RAM etc.

Go to the debug screen for each device (Router and satellite) -- e.g. 192.168.1.1/debug and see what those parameters are as well.

I wouldnt change anything in there, just look to see what it says.

Message 2 of 44
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

Looking to see if I am pushing my ORBI's to the limit or if I have another problem.

Problem: I have to run the Security Cameras at a lower res and lower fps that I would like.

You have normal figures as I can see.

Do you have any specific issues that you see in your system?

Performance in Orbi is better measured by connected device and backhaul performance. Please measure the wired and wireless speeds that you get from your devices when connected individually in the network, this is an easy test to do.

Another test is when you have a number of devices are sending and receiving data at the same time, which is a test that is not easy to perform.

As @Chuck_M mentioned, the CPU and RAM usage in the debug pages of the nodes give you good picture about your nodes' performance while doing the testing.

Message 3 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Chuck, thanks.

I get a 404 with "/debug"

Did I misunderstand your directions?

Under advance setting there are some stats for the Orbi but those are by the day, month, etc.

I'm trying to do some basic PD ie: is this a camera issue or am I throwing too much at the network.

Message 4 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

How many cameras do you have connected to the Orbi system? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@Jroach wrote:

Message 5 of 44
ekhalil
Master

Regarding your cameras:

1. Are they using the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands? 

2. Have you tried to make a wifi scan and select channels that are not or least used by others?

3. How far are the cameras from the router/satellite(s)? Does it make a difference if you get them closer?

4. Have you also thought that this issue can be caused by the device you are streaming on, does it have a good connection to Orbi?

5. Is WMM enabled in the advanced wireless settings?

Message 6 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

ekhalil,

Thanks.

The cameras are dual band,  when first connected they are 5ghz but tend to settle into 2.4 over time. The camera doesn't have a setting to remove either band or put more weight behind a specific band in the camera.

I've played with a few channels without success.

Dropped frames from all cameras (ranging in 5' to 20' in distance from teh base or satellite.

Your last question is one that I have thought about quite a bit and concerned it is th esource of my issue but....I thought I would look at the basics first before buying a different camera (maybe one where I can select the band).  I thought about enabling a guest network then only have the cameras on the guest as a test.

Message 7 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Furrye38,

Thanks.

It's an internal network.  No modem involved for the cameras.  The more I increase the FPS or res the more dropped frames I get.

The problem happens with the base or the satellite so I don't think it's a satellite issue.  The distance is about 15' as the crow flys.

Message 8 of 44
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

The cameras are dual band,  when first connected they are 5ghz but tend to settle into 2.4 over time. .......

Is the performance of the camera better when it's on the 5 GHz than when on the 2.4 GHz? Or do you see issues with both bands?

Is the following setting enabled in Orbi?

1. 40/20 MHz coexistence which is useful if the camera does not support 40 MHz bandwidth on 2.4 GHz band

2. WMM which gives priority to audio and video packets over other packets.

Namnlöst.png

Message 9 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

ekhali,

I had played around with teh 20/40 coexist when I first picked up the ORBI.  I didn't find any difference in performance but I've tweaked a lot of things so its worth trying again.  Same with the 2.4 vs 5, both drop frames.

WWM is set on.

Daisychain is set to off.  I bring this up because I think that Netgear had me turn this off when I first bought the ORBI and I thought I saw a post that it was OK to turn it back on again.

Message 10 of 44
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

...........  Same with the 2.4 vs 5, both drop frames.

One last thing to test! Packet drops can also be caused by the fragmentation thresholds. Default CTS/RTS Threshold is 2347 for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Please try to change those something lower, start with 2307 and then try different values between this figure and 2347.

Message 11 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

15 feet between the Orbi router and satellite? if so, this is too close between them. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@Jroach wrote:

Furrye38,

Thanks.

It's an internal network.  No modem involved for the cameras.  The more I increase the FPS or res the more dropped frames I get.

The problem happens with the base or the satellite so I don't think it's a satellite issue.  The distance is about 15' as the crow flys.

Message 12 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

ekhalil,

Thanks for the advice.  

I've changed it to 2307 and will test/monitor and report back.

Best.

Message 13 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

Furrye38

It's 15' but its downstairs.  What is the symptom if they are too close?  

Thanks in advance

Message 14 of 44
JammasterC
Star

Are you using the mobile Orbi App on a cell phone?

If you are, look into the Device List for your cameras.

You can see the Connection Type (2.4 or 5GHz), the Connected Orbi, and Link Rate (if connected to satellite).

For some reason, my Nest outdoor camera loves connecting to Orbi Satellite-1 which is much further away then the RBR50.

Outdoor camera and RBR50 are a wall apart! 

My Nest indoor and outdoor cameras have a Link Rate approxiametly 150 Mbps.

"Problem: I have to run the Security Cameras at a lower res and lower fps that I would like."

Until the Link Rate increases, you may have to keep these values lower.

Message 15 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be degradation of performances. Having over lapping wifi that is too close can also cause interference problems between the base router and satellite. 30 feet in between is recommend to begin with for placement with the satellite(s). The router alone can cover up to 1100sq ft by itself depending on building materials. 

Turn OFF the satellites and run some performance testings with just the router alone. Then turn on a satellite and test. Placement is key. 

@Jroach wrote:

Furrye38

It's 15' but its downstairs.  What is the symptom if they are too close?  

Thanks in advance

Message 16 of 44
Chuck_M
Mentor

What is the symptom if they are too close?  

Imagine sticking your head in a high performance speaker and turning up the volume too high.  You can hear noise, but it is so loud you cannot figure out what the noise is.  You are over-modulating.  You can also over-modulate digital receivers with too much power -- (by being too close or too much output power!)

Message 17 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

I'll move it to the next spot but I had it further away when first setting it up and the the connection between the sattelite and base was flaky (dropped).  They replaced the satellite but moving it closer solved the problem.

Message 18 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

ekhalil,

Changing the RTS seems to have helped some.  I've also found that the cameras have a "max bit rate" that I will also reduce to see what that does.

I'll report back 

Message 19 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

ekhalil, et al.

Is there a good tool that would help in PD?  I was looking at Wifi Explorer (all mac house) to help.

Message 20 of 44
Chuck_M
Mentor

Most apps are called "WiFi Analyzer" or something like that -- and most are free... I would start out with the one with the highest rating and is free.

When you run this WiFI analyzer, you will be able to see Radio Freq (RF) graphs by bands (2.4 and 5 ghz) listed across channels.

You should see "Peaks" of those RF transmitters with SSIDs overlaid on them.

Quickly it will be very clear to you if there are competing channels from -- say you and your neighbor.

You may see an overlaid peak of your printer... this is ok.  What is not ok is another ssid.

On the 5ghz spectrum you will see a network off to the right called "Hidden SSID"  That is your wireless backhaul and is also normal.

Do you see any competing peaks around that?

Long and short is you want to operate in the cleanest RF environment possible... that could be challenging considering some urban areas.  Picking the right channels is an art that provides the cleanest signal.

Remember, just because it was clean today, doesnt mean next week it will still be a good environment, and you may have to adjust based on neighbors, etc.

Message 21 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, there will be a sweet spot to find when placeing satellites. The 30 feet mark is just a good starting point. 

@Jroach wrote:

I'll move it to the next spot but I had it further away when first setting it up and the the connection between the sattelite and base was flaky (dropped).  They replaced the satellite but moving it closer solved the problem.

Message 22 of 44
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

ekhalil, et al.

Is there a good tool that would help in PD?  I was looking at Wifi Explorer (all mac house) to help.

If you're looking for a tool to analyse packet drops in your LAN then ping command is the best tool! Use it with different buffer sizes and ping your LAN gateway. You should see ping return times of 1ms on your LAN and never drop a packet if all is ok in your network.

If reducing the CTS/RTS helped then this -likely- means either that you have collisions and retransmissions in your network for some reason. This can be caused by high radio interference on your network from outside or internally (may be because the units are close to each other).

Of course choosing a good RTS/CTS value will help, the lower the threshold, the more stable your Wi-Fi network (you can also try values less than the suggested 2307), since it asks to send packages more frequently. But I'd focus on finding out the root cause of the interference to solve the issue once for all.

Message 23 of 44
Jroach
Luminary

ekhalil,

Thanks...Good idea re: the ping

Resulted in 3 to 5ms times

Per Furry's suggestion I'll move the satellite but, wouldn't the collissions show up in the ORBI report? 

Message 24 of 44
ekhalil
Master

@Jroach wrote:

......Resulted in 3 to 5ms times

3-5 ms when pinging in the LAN? That's way too much!

@Jroach wrote:

.......I'll move the satellite ..

You have two options when you have collisions casued by radio interference: the preferred option is to get rid of the interference, but if not possible then reduce the CTS/RTS threshold to overcome the impact

@Jroach wrote:

..... wouldn't the collissions show up in the ORBI report? 

Unfortunately, it's not possible to see those collisions in Orbi

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7