Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is the Orbi right for me?

PiqueF
Aspirant

Is the Orbi right for me?

I would greatly appreciate advice and a recommendation or two ... I am a long-time and happy user of a Nighthawk AC1900 Model R6900 WiFi router, which I use with an Arris SB6183 modem. I am moving into a new 2500sf home with a basement, outdoor area and two floors. Our family uses around 10 devices plus we’ll have 2 or 3 WiFi cameras. Since the devices will all be pretty spread out, what would you recommend to ensure reliable WiFi service? Should I use Spectrum’s modem and WiFi router or get a different modem and couple that with an Orbi or Netgear Mesh System? The number of Orbi options is overwhelming to me and I don’t really understand the difference or benefits of Netgear’s Nighthawk Mesh System.

any help greatly appreciated.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep the SB6183 modem. It's a good solid modem if the ISP supports it. Keep with a modem only if possible. 

I have the cablemodem 40 series Orbi and 1 satellite. I have a 5000sq ft home with the base at one end upd stairs and the 1 satellite ath the opposite end down stairs 40 feet in between. I have great wifi coverage throughout the home and out side. I have 3 cameras, 2 NEST controllers, phones and PCs, 2 xbox consoles. It's a good system. I presume the 40 series would be a good fit for you, base and 1 satellite. The router can cover up to about 30 feet on it's own. 

Heres how I got my friends 50 series up and running:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 2 of 4
PiqueF
Aspirant

Thank you so much for this really helpful advice. I’ll take a close look at the 40 series now that I’m pointed in the right direction.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements