Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there a way to get the VPN to connect with the primary (not guest) network? New Version

RidaHAKIM
Aspirant

Is there a way to get the VPN to connect with the primary (not guest) network? New Version

I Open a new discussion since the one opened by Stev3D and concerning the same issue has been closed/solved by error.

I have a home/primary wifi network on my Orbi set to 192.168.1.x

My Orbi is in router mode.

I've activated the built-in VPN, installed OpenVPN on my iphone and downloaded the ovpm file into it. Connection to my home network worked great (honestly, VPN solution proposed by Netgear is easy and clear to implement). When I enter in OpenVPN application in my iphone, I see that Orbi router has allocated me a 192.168.2.X address, so not in my primary network.

Problem is the following : I have Hue lights, and I use to turn them on and off using Siri and Apple Home app. Using VPN, my Home app tell me that I need a concentrator (AppleTV, HomePod, or even an IPad at home) probably 'cause it found that I'm not on the same network than the lights. I'm talking ab out Hue Lights, but issue is the same if I want to access other equipement in home.

So, as Stev3D asked, is there any way to configure Orbi so that VPN connections will be assigned to the same network than my Wifi primary one ?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Is there a way to get the VPN to connect with the primary (not guest) network? New Version

(I have no Hue lights, so please bear with me)

Are you using the Bluetooth or the Bridge system?

Message 2 of 5
RidaHAKIM
Aspirant

Re: Is there a way to get the VPN to connect with the primary (not guest) network? New Version

@CrimpOn wrote:

(I have no Hue lights, so please bear with me)

Are you using the Bluetooth or the Bridge system?

I'm using Philips Hue Bridge v2, the one compatible with Apple HomeKit.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  Another question: Does the Apple Home app function when you are not "at home", for example at an airport or when connected to WiFi at some other location?  (We Android people are blissfully ignorant about how "Apple Stuff" works.)

The reason I ask is I have found few limitations using OpenVPN to the Orbi.  Just now, I tested by disconnecting my phone from WiFi and opening OpenVPN over LTE.  Yes, the IP address I got was 192.168.2.2.  However, the way I learned this was by opening a web browser, connecting to 192.168.1.1 (the Orbi) and bringing up the "Attached Devices" display, which clearly showed my IP address and also the fact that my connection was "VPN" (not "Wired" or "WiFi").

I then pinged devices on my regular subnet (printers, computers, etc.) and they all responded.

I then connected to a couple of Raspberry Pi units using SSH.  The tiny characters on the phone screen were frustrating, but I was able to run commands on the Pi's just fine.

So, web browsing, ping, and SSH work to devices on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

What did NOT work, however, was any program that detected I was not on WiFi.  I asked Fing, to scan my network, and it refused to run at all.  I yelled, "It doesn't matter, dummy,  I'm on a VPN."  Alas, no.  No WiFi, no deal.

So, what does Apple Home do when you are not on WiFi?

Message 4 of 5
RidaHAKIM
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn

@CrimpOn wrote:

Thanks.  Another question: Does the Apple Home app function when you are not "at home", for example at an airport or when connected to WiFi at some other location?  (We Android people are blissfully ignorant about how "Apple Stuff" works.)

Never tried it.

The reason I ask is I have found few limitations using OpenVPN to the Orbi.  Just now, I tested by disconnecting my phone from WiFi and opening OpenVPN over LTE.  Yes, the IP address I got was 192.168.2.2.  However, the way I learned this was by opening a web browser, connecting to 192.168.1.1 (the Orbi) and bringing up the "Attached Devices" display, which clearly showed my IP address and also the fact that my connection was "VPN" (not "Wired" or "WiFi").

Exactly same as me. I can access Orbi through web browser. That' all I can do.

I then pinged devices on my regular subnet (printers, computers, etc.) and they all responded.

I then connected to a couple of Raspberry Pi units using SSH.  The tiny characters on the phone screen were frustrating, but I was able to run commands on the Pi's just fine.

Impossible to ping other thing than the Orbi. Nothing else answer the ping.

What did NOT work, however, was any program that detected I was not on WiFi.  I asked Fing, to scan my network, and it refused to run at all.  I yelled, "It doesn't matter, dummy,  I'm on a VPN."  Alas, no.  No WiFi, no deal.

So, what does Apple Home do when you are not on WiFi?

Maybe that's the way Apple Home Kit : no WiFi  no deal. Or maybe it's the subnet : not the same subnet, no deal. Impossible to know. Anyway thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7