Aspirant

Is there a way to make the Satellite stick with 2.4Ghz backhaul

Product Details

Router RBR850

Satellite: RBS850
Firmware Version V3.2.18.1_1.4.14
GUI Language Version V3.0.0.51_2.1.30.3

Problem

My satellite reports Poor backhaul at 5Ghz, and Good backhaul at 2.4Ghz. On Satellite reboot it first connects on 2.4Ghz/Good, and then a few minutes later switches to 5Ghz/Poor - and sticks with that. My computer is very close to the Satellite. I believe this causes my Zoom & Google Meet calls to drop on and off sometimes. When that happens I cannot browser websites for 5-10 minutes. When I'm next to the Router, the connection is always stable. So I attribute this behavior to Poor backhaul.

On 5Ghz/Poor backhaul - my speeds are 162/158 Mbps (download / upload). But the connection gets unstable 2-3 times a day.

On 2.4Ghz/Good backhaul - my speeds are 69/67 Mbps (download / upload). I think my connection might be stable if I can get the satellite to stick to this mode. This bandwidth is enough for my video calls.

Question

I don't want to move my Satellite because the 2.4Ghz speeds are good enough (for me), and power plug constraints in my house.

Hence the question – Is there a way to make the Satellite stick with 2.4Ghz backhaul -- preferable via the Orbi admin UI, but even command line is fine if thats the only way.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is there a way to make the Satellite stick with 2.4Ghz backhaul

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 5
ar8d66
Aspirant

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Link not working...

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@ar8d66 wrote:

I don't want to move my Satellite because the 2.4Ghz speeds are good enough (for me), and power plug constraints in my house.

Hence the question – Is there a way to make the Satellite stick with 2.4Ghz backhaul -- preferable via the Orbi admin UI, but even command line is fine if thats the only way.

We refer people to the AX forum because each of the Orbi product lines has unique characteristics and a solution that might work on one may be impossible on another and the only people who are likely to know for certain are those who have the AX product.  For example, my iimpression is that Netgear eliminated the telnet feature on the AX product. (Since I do not have one myself, I cannot check.) No telnet implies no command line possibilities.

From posts that have appeared on the forum, how Orbi systems select backhaul is entirely internal, with no user control of any kind.

Sometimes even a minor change in location can make a difference in WiFi connections, particularly for 5G which is more affected by building materials and obstacles. There could be pipes, HVAC ducts, or appliances that are impeding the 5G signal and could be avoided if the router and satellite are moved just a litle.  It might be worth experimenting with different locations that can be reached from the same electrical outlet.  Many users report success from placing their Orbi units "higher". (There are any number of plastic wall mounts for sale on Amazon.

The best solution, of course, is to connect the router and satellite with ethernet cable. (Often completely impractical.)

Is there a definite pattern to the WiFi performance going bad?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7