Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there an upgrade path from Wifi 5 to 6 for an RBK50 owner?

wolfereeno
Apprentice

Is there an upgrade path from Wifi 5 to 6 for an RBK50 owner?

I have an RBK50, so a RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite.    I need a 3rd satellite for better coverage upstairs.  

First, are there any plans to upgrade the RBR50's to WIFI 6 via firmware upgrades?

Secondly, is there any planned compatibility between the newer wifi 6 orbi's and the older ones?

Wondering if I just wait for the prices to come down on another RBS50 and skip Wifi 6 altogether.  This is just for home and home office use.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@wolfereeno wrote:

I have an RBK50, so a RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite.    I need a 3rd satellite for better coverage upstairs.  

First, are there any plans to upgrade the RBR50's to WIFI 6 via firmware upgrades?

No. Cannot be done.  Requires a different radio chip.

Secondly, is there any planned compatibility between the newer wifi 6 orbi's and the older ones?

Netgear has hinted at compatability to allow the existing satellites to work with the WiFi6 router.  Apparently some users have satellites working when "wired" to the WiFi6 router, but connecting satellites with WiFi backhaul has not materialized.

Wondering if I just wait for the prices to come down on another RBS50 and skip Wifi 6 altogether.  This is just for home and home office use.

The RBS50 is the most costly indoor satellite.  There are others that cost less and work seamlessly with the Orbi router.  In 5 years, there will be enough WiFi6 devices in use to make having WiFi6 really useful.  For the next 2-3 years, it won't make any impact on you at all.

If you need more WiFi coverage now, I would get more now.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@wolfereeno wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

The RBK50 is not HW compatible or has any HW support for WiFi 6. Orbi AX systems has already come out and is WiFi 6 Supporting:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

NG is supposed to made the RBS50 satellites compatible. Not sure when though. 

Wondering if I just wait for the prices to come down on another RBS50 and skip Wifi 6 altogether.  This is just for home and home office use. If the 50 series is working well for you, keep it. Until you get more devices with AX wifi, not a real need to upgrade until then. 

Message 3 of 13
wolfereeno
Apprentice

OK thanks guys.

I'm sure I need the additional coverage. I have kind of an unusual multi floor apartment.  

The RBS50 seems to cost almost as much as the whole 2 unit RBK50 kit so I've been trying to just wait for a sale.  I could get the two radio version RBS20 but I'd rather get 50 if the prices drop.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope you can find something that works for you. 

Message 5 of 13
theoak
Luminary

My perspective is that WiFi 6 is still very much a work in progress.  Not all features are implemented yet.

WiFi 6 does support better hardware and hence can support faster internet and more devices.

I only have 40 down and 3 up (bonded DSL).  I won't be upgrading to WiFi 6 anytime soon.

If you are sporting gigabit internet and a ton of devices, then I might look into it.  Otherwise, newer/better hardware is always coming out and in a few years there will be a much better WiFi 6 Orbi.

Message 6 of 13
wwwXpert
Tutor

According to this Press Release, wifi 6 will be available on the RBK50.

"Orbi with Wi-Fi 6 is expected to be available on the Orbi RBK50 series in the second half of 2019."

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2019/NETGEAR-ANNOUNCES-ORBI-MESH-WI-FI-SYSTEM.aspx
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@wwwXpert wrote:
"Orbi with Wi-Fi 6 is expected to be available on the Orbi RBK50 series in the second half of 2019."
https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2019/NETGEAR-ANNOUNCES-ORBI-MESH-WI-FI-SYSTEM.aspx

Alas, the same press release talks about Qualcom's "new SoC" (System on Chip) that makes WiFi6 possible.

Not new firmware. New chip.

WiFi6 did come out in 2019, and it is NOT available on the original RBK50 product and never will be.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe that is a typo. "Orbi RBK50 series in the second half of 2019" I believe they meant to say RBK850 series which did debut second half of 2019. The 50 series Orbi AC will not see any such upgrade as wifi 6 is a whole new chip set and hardware which means implemenation of new HW which can't be added to older hardware. This new products and models were released, Orbi 7 and 8 series AX is now out in the wild. 

@wwwXpert wrote:

Message 9 of 13
GMoGoody8
Luminary

I was in the same boat and it appears the RBS50 is discontinued. All I can find are refurbished and used units which is another reason prices are so high. 

I ended up pulling a trigger on a RBS50Y and going to put it in my garage or on my deck. Where originally I was going to put the RBS50 on the other side of the wall inside. This though forces me to wireless backhaul since the RBS50Y doesn't have Ethernet ports. 

I didn't want to yet buy a completely new Orbi system/kit as my RBR50 is only 18 months old. 

Message 10 of 13
wwwXpert
Tutor

I purchased the Orbi RBK53 Kit a few months ago From Costco $300 believing the Press Release was accurate. If the PR was in error and the RBK53 Kit is NOT forwards compatible with WiFi 6, I'm returning it to Costco. Thanks for pointing out the error. Netgear needs to fix this obvious PR error that will continue to misguide consumers into purchasing something that will not support WiFi 6.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

@Blanca_O 

Message 12 of 13
GMoGoody8
Luminary

@wwwXpert , An RB50 device can't support WiFi 6 fully . It would need newer hardware to support the 802.11ax requirements.

Where I could potentially see mixed use in the future is using the Orbi WiFi 6 Router (RBR750, RBR850) with an Orbi WiFi 5 Satellite until the user completely converts to 100% WiFi 6.

I say in the future because right now the firmwares between the WiFi 5 satellites and WiFi 6  routers can't communicate. There are a ton of complaints on the Outdoor RBS50Y forum and reviews that they aren't currently compatible and there currently isn't a WiFi 6 outdoor satellite.

I think where Netgear confuses people in their marketing is the Kits change the last digit to account for the number of devices in the kit when they released the 2 satellite kit with the RBR50.

For Example

WiFI 6 Devices:
RBK853 -- Is a RBR850 and 2 RBS850s
RBK852 -- Is a RBR850 and a RBS850

WiFi 5 Devices:
RBK53 -- Is a RBR50 and 2 RBS50s
RBK50 -- Is a RBR50 and a RBS50

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos