Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there any good news ????

sleepbaby
Guide

Is there any good news ????

Firstly I would like to welcome new members to the Netgear community and secondly a hello to existing members, I would also like to add that I am on my second Orbi kit(RBK33) after having numerous problems with the new firmware, problems with the satellite not connecting to the main Orbi router and drooped wifi signals, I cut my losses and returned my unit back to Amazon within the 30 day window (I suppose I was one of the lucky ones Netgear support did suggest that I might also have hardware problems).

Maybe foolishly I purchased the same kit again. The setup went well and this time around used firmware v2.0.0.56 for the Orbi and v2.0.0.34 for the satellites. I have now had the system for over a week and  have the Orbi completely hooked up to all my devices just to name a few Lutron lighting, Hue lights, Sonos, Ipads, Android devices etc., so the second time around the experience has been completely different in that the orb is working as described.

So a couple of questions does Netgear have a plan in place to ensure that this does not occur again and that the firmware is completely tested before being released.? Does Netcare intend to allow users to upgrade their firmware if desired and to opt out of the upgrade if desired.

To my fellow Orbi users who have had the Orbi for a longer period should I just cut my losses and purchase a more stable and thoroughly tested system or do you think that Netgear have learned from this mistake?

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 Really? Exactly which others did those solutions help? Seriously, who had their disconnect issues solved by what you suggested?

Those are just blind shots in the dark and just spreads confusion and doubt.

Disabling beamforming only helped with nest cams in the early 1.x series when netgear didn't have that basic feature working properly. It's had no impact on disconnect issues since then.

Fast Roaming? That's an AP-side feature, not known to the clients. It's not going to change anything, it's not 802.11r. It would only impact roaming anyway.

Daily Chaining? What? At best that would be a performance only feature. Nothing to do with disconnects.

Disabling Mu-MIMO support? Again, that's performance related. And, if you had to disable that feature, you'd want to return the unit. That's a core feature of modern wifi. That's like saying "see if welding the trunk closed makes the car ride more smoothly". If it does, you still have a major problem.

Stop with the confusion and illogical suggestions!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies
webminster
Luminary

Netgear has to date not committed to publishing any news on anything they're tracking or working on, or any expectations or ETAs on firmware.   You just have a operate in the dark, and trust your gut about whether you're happy enough to keep it.

Message 2 of 12
sleepbaby
Guide

Thanks for getting back, in that case I will wait until i get closer to my second 30 day return window and decide then if i will return or keep the Orbi.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

While your in your waiting period, try disabling any of these options you might have, MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming or Beamforming to see if you notice any differences. Has help others. NG is working on FW issues. 

Message 4 of 12
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 Really? Exactly which others did those solutions help? Seriously, who had their disconnect issues solved by what you suggested?

Those are just blind shots in the dark and just spreads confusion and doubt.

Disabling beamforming only helped with nest cams in the early 1.x series when netgear didn't have that basic feature working properly. It's had no impact on disconnect issues since then.

Fast Roaming? That's an AP-side feature, not known to the clients. It's not going to change anything, it's not 802.11r. It would only impact roaming anyway.

Daily Chaining? What? At best that would be a performance only feature. Nothing to do with disconnects.

Disabling Mu-MIMO support? Again, that's performance related. And, if you had to disable that feature, you'd want to return the unit. That's a core feature of modern wifi. That's like saying "see if welding the trunk closed makes the car ride more smoothly". If it does, you still have a major problem.

Stop with the confusion and illogical suggestions!

Message 5 of 12
Frank_H
Guide

I disabled the daisy chain function and eliminated disconnects. I have 3 routers and AP mode and 3 satilittes.

Message 6 of 12
sleepbaby
Guide

HI Frank H just wondering how long you have had the Orbi?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tested our system by disabling some of the features suggested? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-randomly-dropping-internet-connection-despite-V2-0-0-74/m...

@sleepbabywrote:

HI Frank H just wondering how long you have had the Orbi?

Message 8 of 12
Frank_H
Guide

I have had the Orbis about a year.  I tried disabling MIMO and fast roaming too, w/o success.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@Frank_H Just curious, how big is your home Sq Ft? 

How many Satellites are you using? 

@Frank_Hwrote:

I have had the Orbis about a year.  I tried disabling MIMO and fast roaming too, w/o success.

Message 10 of 12
Frank_H
Guide

Not so much big as difeerent levels levels. Basement, 1st and 2nd floor

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here, was curious on the sq ft though.

Mines a 5000sq ft, 1st , 2nd and base ment. Using only 1 Satellite. Working well here. 

@sleepbabywrote:

Firstly I would like to welcome new members to the Netgear community and secondly a hello to existing members, I would also like to add that I am on my second Orbi kit(RBK33) after having numerous problems with the new firmware, problems with the satellite not connecting to the main Orbi router and drooped wifi signals, I cut my losses and returned my unit back to Amazon within the 30 day window (I suppose I was one of the lucky ones Netgear support did suggest that I might also have hardware problems).

Maybe foolishly I purchased the same kit again. The setup went well and this time around used firmware v2.0.0.56 for the Orbi and v2.0.0.34 for the satellites. I have now had the system for over a week and  have the Orbi completely hooked up to all my devices just to name a few Lutron lighting, Hue lights, Sonos, Ipads, Android devices etc., so the second time around the experience has been completely different in that the orb is working as described.

So a couple of questions does Netgear have a plan in place to ensure that this does not occur again and that the firmware is completely tested before being released.? Does Netcare intend to allow users to upgrade their firmware if desired and to opt out of the upgrade if desired.

To my fellow Orbi users who have had the Orbi for a longer period should I just cut my losses and purchase a more stable and thoroughly tested system or do you think that Netgear have learned from this mistake?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7