Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there any way to get a separate SSID for 2.4ghz with an RBR40? Or abandon Orbi?

kiwiaussie
Aspirant

Is there any way to get a separate SSID for 2.4ghz with an RBR40? Or abandon Orbi?

Hi all

I have recently put smart lights throughout my house that require a 2.4ghz network. I'm having huge connectivity issues and I'm told it's probably due to my 5ghz and 2.4ghz channels having a shared SSID.

My googling tells me that you used to be able to use Telnet to change the 2.4ghz SSID but that feature appears to have been removed.

Can anyone provide any advice on how to separate the SSIDs? Or should I simply abandon Orbi for something that can do the job (Unifi or similar)?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Is there any way to get a separate SSID for 2.4ghz with an RBR40? Or abandon Orbi?

I've got 2x orbi systems. And a ton of smart devices. And I haven't found anything I couldn't get connected. 

It was a bit of a pain when I first started using them but not an issue now. 

The problem is lazy coding on smart devices. You shouldn't "need" to be connected to the 2.4ghz for setup but because people are lazy, you do. 

So to get your devices setup, just make sure your phone/device is on the 2.4ghz during setup. 

Some have done this by reducing the transmit power on the 5ghz and disabling ssid broadcast (doesn't actually disable 5ghz). Then disconnect your phone and reconnect it. Hopefully it connects to the 2.4ghz for setting up your devices. 

What I"ve even done in the past is use an old router or my phone hotspot. I set it with the same ssid/password as the orbi. Then I connect to its 2.4ghz and get my devices setup. then I simply power off that old router/hotspot and power the orbi back on. I haven't had to do this in years but it is an option. 

Message 2 of 12
kiwiaussie
Aspirant

Re: Is there any way to get a separate SSID for 2.4ghz with an RBR40? Or abandon Orbi?

Thank you very much for the reply. It's not actually the set up that is my problem. I can get them all going as per the provided instructions but the connection is just super unreliable with dropouts happening all the time.

They are Lifx downlights and it seems that many people solve the issue by having a separate SSID for 2.4ghz.

But of course I'm happy to hear any other solutions because generally my Orbi system is pretty good. 

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

The support web site recommends best practices for where to put their bulbs.  Do the bulbs experiencing connection problems fall into any of those situations?

https://support.lifx.com/english-SksMdoL_ 

Message 4 of 12
kiwiaussie
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

The support web site recommends best practices for where to put their bulbs.  Do the bulbs experiencing connection problems fall into any of those situations?

https://support.lifx.com/english-SksMdoL_ 

No none of that really applies. Mine are downlights rather than bulbs.

Message 5 of 12
Mikey94025
Hero

@kiwiaussie wrote:

Thank you very much for the reply. It's not actually the set up that is my problem. I can get them all going as per the provided instructions but the connection is just super unreliable with dropouts happening all the time.

They are Lifx downlights and it seems that many people solve the issue by having a separate SSID for 2.4ghz.

The known problems caused by shared SSID are during setup, by phone apps that assume their SSID is what the IoT device needs to use (but the phone speaks 5Ghz whereas the device does not).

It seems unlikely that the sharing of SSID between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz can be the cause of connection dropouts.  Your lights cannot "see" the 5Ghz network so how can they be affected?

Message 6 of 12
Mikey94025
Hero

Try searching for Orbi suggestions for LIFX compatibility that do not talk about the shared SSID.  For example, this one suggests disabling 20/40Mhz coexistence and WMM: https://www.reddit.com/r/lifx/comments/dmnyj2/lifx_and_orbi_any_tricks/.  It's worth a try but sounds drastic (I think WMM should be on all the time).

https://support.lifx.com/troubleshooting-setup-BJD5Zdi8_#h_becbd926-f472-44a3-91ac-2649196a6cbd also suggests:

• Disable WMM
  • Change the router channel from auto to 1, 6 or 11 - Have you changed your wifi channel from Auto to one of these numbers?
  • Do you have any QoS options enabled?  They can cause LIFX issues.
  • Mentions that the shared SSID is a setup danger, not connectivity, so you should look for other reasons for your dropouts: "Dual-band routers at times can route LIFX to the incorrect band, causing a failure in set-up."
Message 7 of 12
kiwiaussie
Aspirant

Cool thanks for all that. I did all those steps before posting here and it hasn't led to any improvement. I saw someone was saying that the wifi chip in the LIFX lights does try to connect to 5ghz even though it can't actually use it. Whether or not that's true is not clear to me.

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@kiwiaussie wrote:

Cool thanks for all that. I did all those steps before posting here and it hasn't led to any iI saw someone was saying that the wifi chip in the LIFX lights does try to connect to 5ghz even though it can't actually use itmprovement. . Whether or not that's true is not clear to me.

That is totally incorrect...  i.e. impossible.  The web site clearly states:

A Wi-Fi Internet connection (Wi-Fi access point must be 802.11b, g or n compliant with WPA2 security and a DHCP-configured connection available for every connected LIFX® bulb

That means 2.4G only.  This product cannot possibly connect to a 5G WiFi signal.... ever.

WiFi is more sensitive to obstructions than people realize.  Do all of the bulbs experience connections issues, or only certain bulbs?

Are the bulbs with connection issues attached to one particular Orbi unit?

Message 9 of 12
kiwiaussie
Aspirant

Thanks again. I do really appreciate the help.

This is the post I was referring to earlier. https://www.reddit.com/r/lifx/comments/l0e8ge/warningguide_solving_the_cloud_disconnected_lifx/?utm_...

I have light that connected fine initially and the. Just drop out. They are right next to one of the orbi satellites too. I will try swapping my two satellites though to see if that makes a difference.

All up I’m thinking that getting rid of the orbi is going to be less trouble than replacing the brand new lights. As much as it pains me given it’s working perfectly otherwise.
Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

One could install and setup a inexpensive 2ndary 2.4Ghz only router or AP and connect these devices to this wifi signal. Just make sure the channels are far appart from what Orbi uses. Then keep Orbi for everything else. 

@kiwiaussie wrote:

All up I’m thinking that getting rid of the orbi is going to be less trouble than replacing the brand new lights. As much as it pains me given it’s working perfectly otherwise.

Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@kiwiaussie wrote:
This is the post I was referring to earlier. https://www.reddit.com/r/lifx/comments/l0e8ge/warningguide_solving_the_cloud_disconnected_lifx/?utm_...

Fascinating rant.  I did enjoy the comment that one person's lights are working fine with their Netgear Orbi.

My guess  from the reference to Google Home is that he has a Google WiFi mesh.

In addition to switching the satellites, is it possible to switch the lights around? Maybe that one light is defective?

And... he is just plain wrong about the SSID issue. That esp8266 WiFi chip has no 5G capability.  It cannot receive a beacon signal from 5G WiFi.  It cannot be confused. The issue with 2.4G vs 5G having the same SSID relates only to initial setup.  There definitely is "crappy software" that doesn't work when the smartphone is connected to WiFi at 5G.  But, your lights got connected, so this is not your issue.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7