Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there anyway turning of auto uppdate?

mastervisa30
Luminary

Is there anyway turning of auto uppdate?

my kids going crazy,when i wake up the orbi have uppdated to the newest firmwareV2.2.1.210 and i wan to stay on firmware V2.1.4.16 when its working

Now its been unstable and remote doesnt work anymore on V2.2.1.210.

Turn of auto uppdate please so we can use older firmware when this things happend,if there is many bugs we can use old from to netgear fix bugs.

This should be options soon to turn of auto uppdate.

now im gonna install older firmware and then ist ok and working again,i have tried to turn of auto but no luck.

My kids told me now and was angry it was uppdating last night when they all was playing games on the computers big games and internett was gone when it was auto uppdating.

lets us decide using that firmware who is working no auto uppdate when there is many buggs

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
LycanChief
Star

Here is how to diable AutoUpgrade, please if you dont know what is Telnet and how to use CLI, Please dont try it....:

To stop the Orbi from installing the updated firmware automatically follow the steps below.  

Perform these step after you downgraded the firmware to a prior release.

1) Launch your favorite web browser and go to <Router IP Address>/debug.htm

2) Login <username> <password> when prompted

3) Check Enable Telnet

4) Start a Telnet session.  I use Putty.  Enter the <Router IP Address> Telnet is using port 23

5) You can skip this step if you like.  I am calling it out for illustration purposes only...  

Type nvram show | grep auto_* <ENTER>

You will see a list similar to this:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep auto_
vpn_access_mode=auto
wl_auto_antenna=1
set_auto_agreement=0
orbi_auto_upgrade=1
ipv6_autoConfig_dns_assign=0
ipv6_autoConfig_dns1=
ipv6_autoConfig_dns2=
upnp_enable_autoScan=0
ipv6_auto_dns_assign=0
bas_auto_conn_flag=0
orbi_auto_upg=0
autofw_port0=
ipv6_auto_dns1=
ipv6_auto_dns2=
qos_auto_bandwidth=0
green_enable_autorefresh_status=0
enable_dev_auto_refresh=1
wl_rate=auto
auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1
root@RBR50:/# root@RBR50:/#

The 3 configurations highlighted above you will want to update the value from =1 to =0

orbi_auto_upgrade=1

auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1

6) To update run the following commands:

nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0  <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

nvram set auto_update=0 <ENTER> (no spaces after set)

7) Type the following commands to confirm the 3 configurations are set to =0

nvram show | grep orbi_auto_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_check_for_upgrade <ENTER>

nvram show | grep auto_update <ENTER>

8) After you confirmed the 3 configuration values are set to =0 then type nvram commit <ENTER> (this step will save the changes)

9) Type exit to terminate the telnet session

10) Go back to the <Router IP Address>/debug.htm web page and uncheck Enable Telnet

Please note within a day or so the Orbi will know there is an updated firmware release available but it will not automatically install it.  If you do go back into a Telnet session after the Orbi knows there is an updated firmware release the configuration orbi_auto_upgrade will have a value greater than 1.  That is okay.  Do not change the value back to =0

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 5
LycanChief
Star

For me Netgear rush this firmware to support the Orbi Voice... they didn’t test completely. My major problem is they have not pulled the firmware out and keep advertising it on the site. Agree that Auto Update must be an option...

Regarding the firmware, they are opening a door for a major problem, how many people have been affected...specially me that work from home and need access to support my company IT Environment in a 24/7 ... How many hours lost and family issues because kids need to finish work for school and college... and the unit keep dropping the ISP, slow Ethernet connection, etc... 

I have not seen any official respond from Netgear or any official on this forum that have taken ownership of this complains.  Support is bad, 90 days only, I always like Netgear equipment, I use it on my network at home, but after this, will be hard to recommend this to anyone. They must be proactive on issues... 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Do the config variables need to be set on the satellites? Or is it all controled from the Orbi router?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
LycanChief
Star

Router Only...
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7