Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is this a normal drop in speed results?

sidebox
Follower

Is this a normal drop in speed results?

Hello!

I have spectrum gigabit service in an apartment in NYC. Tons of wifi networks all around. In Orbi speedtest is giving me 791.21 mbps down | 38.91 mbps up. My 5ghz wireless devices (iPhone, Macbook Pro) are giving me consistent results of 100-150 mbps down | 30 mbps up. When facetiming, we literally will disconnect from our wifi network and use our phones on 5g, since the performance is much better than when on our Orbi network. This seems insane to me. I'm aware that there will be a drop between wired (and in router) and 5ghz and 2.4ghz speeds, but that seems absurd to me. I've tried changing my 5 ghz channels and am not getting better results on any of the limited channels that are available in the wireless settings in Orbi. Any thoughts or ideas? It's madenning that I am actually getting decent gigabit speeds (for my area, and considering there is no fiber here) but am losing 86% of my performance over my mesh network.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is this a normal drop in speed results?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? You maybe in a wifi congested area which would cause some performances problems...

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% or 25% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7