Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is this normal behavior for a satellite?

ymc226
Aspirant

Is this normal behavior for a satellite?

Not being tech saavy, I have a very basic question about the WiFi performance at the satellite level.  

I have an Orbi with 2 satellites with Verizon FIOS as my ISP having suscribed to the 75/75 speed package.  Orbi router is used as an access point with the router arranged in the "middle" of the 2 satellites. 

Using the SpeedSmart app on my iPhone, I'm getting around 85/85 in the room with the Orbi router and in the room of the first satellite located on the same floor with about 3 drywall walls in between.

On my second satellite which I got an initial steady blue light to indicate a "good" connection to the router, and with the 2nd router on the second floor but a similar distance from  satellite 1 to the router, I'm getting around 35/35 in the same room where satellite 2 is located.  The router is located in the first floor family room which juts out from the main house and also doesn't have a 2nd floor over it so the signal has to pass through the room's shale roof and then outside wall to reach the 2nd satellite if you were to "line of sight" their respective locations. 

My question is would the additonal denser material in between the Orbi router and satellite 2 decrease the speed performance or is my 2nd satellite defective?  BTW, I've tested my Airport Extreme WiFi and it is half of what I am getting with the Orbi system.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2

Re: Is this normal behavior for a satellite?

@ymc226 wrote:

My question is would the additonal denser material in between the Orbi router and satellite 2 decrease the speed performance or is my 2nd satellite defective?  BTW, I've tested my Airport Extreme WiFi and it is half of what I am getting with the Orbi system.

hi

yes of course the backhaul will be lower if it has to get through more dense materials or further away , the orbi uses 5 gig for this back haul and it suffers more from this effect as well

placement is the key here to ensure the best throughput between router and sat/s

pete

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7