Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is this setup possible with a RBK50

boombox
Aspirant

Is this setup possible with a RBK50

Hi there,

Thinking about purchasing the RBK50. Before i do, can somebody confirm if the setup i'm thinking about will work?

Please see my attachment for a diagram supporting my question:

- I want to connect the main unit -acting as a router- to the ISP

- From the main unit i want to connect a managed switch to one of the LAN ports

- The managed switch will tag each port with the correct VLAN (300 for internet and 640 for iptv in my case)

I'm asking because right now i have a Deco M9+ setup, but the router unit only has one LAN port that can be used for internet (300) OR iptv (640) (not both), so putting a managed switch behind that which handles the 300 & 640 VLAN tags for each port is not an option.

I really hope somebody can give me some advice.

Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

You can connect any kind of switch to the back of Orbi. For managed switches, be sure ALL IGMP protocols are disabled. Some switches that have "green ethernet" features are also not recommended with Orbi. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I've had mine done in a similar setup. I tried both: 

modem----rbr50-----managed switch-------satellites and other devices

modem----rbr50----sats

|

managed switch

Both worked when i used them like that. the rbr50 units have 3x ethernet ports on the back

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

Did that answer your question?

Message 3 of 12
boombox
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Did you also use VLAN tagging on your managed switches? My problem is i need the Orbi to "pass through" the signal so i can split them on the managed switch.

For instance, did you manage to get IPTV (TV) and a internet device running on your switch (ie a NAS server)?

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

I don't have iptv. I mainly did it for my IoT devices and a detached guest house. I ran a seperate router off the managed switch to run my IoT. And a seperate AP setup to run a detached home that I wanted on a seperate vlan. 

without having your specific setup, I can't say 100% which would work.  

Message 5 of 12
boombox
Aspirant

Ah okay! But did any of those devices attached to the switch needed VLAN tagging?

Again thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

Never set it up so I can't say. I setup vlan's and it worked so I didn't mess with it. sorry. 

Message 7 of 12
boombox
Aspirant

Got it. Thanks for your input!

Hopefully somebody can confirm the last bit about devices that require VLAN tagging by the ISP (again, in my case 640 for IPTV and 300 for internet).

What i'm basically saying is that i want the managed switch to handle the VLAN tagging, not the Orbi. The Orbi should just "pass along" the signal so the switch can pick it up.

I don't want to end up with the Orbi having the LAN ports assigned to specific VLANS. For example: LAN2 only internet (300) and LAN3 only IPTV (640).

Message 8 of 12
boombox
Aspirant

*bump*

Somebody that can help me?

Perhaps somebody from Netgear who can confirm the LAN ports on the back of the router can send an "untouched" signal so a managed switch behind it can split it up to different VLANS?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can connect any kind of switch to the back of Orbi. For managed switches, be sure ALL IGMP protocols are disabled. Some switches that have "green ethernet" features are also not recommended with Orbi. 

Message 10 of 12
boombox
Aspirant

Thank you! Off to buy a set then. Smiley Happy

Yes i need to disable IGMP anyway otherwise the IPTV won't work in my case.

Cheers!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation