Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue after updating to firmware V2.5.1.8

gmcotton
Guide

Issue after updating to firmware V2.5.1.8

Good day,

System overview:

RBR50 Router  (V2.5.1.8)

2 X RBS50 Satelites (V2.5.1.8)

1 X RBS50Y Satelite ( V2.3.5.32)                          

After the firmware update, the web interface shows one RBS50 connected and the other two satelites disconnected.  Thinking that something had caused an issue I tried to resync the two satelites to no avail.  Then I noticed that in the list of attached devices that there were devices connected to the two "disconnected" satelites.   When I check the system on the Orbi app all the satelites are showing connected.

The other annoying thing is that some of the names of the attached devices are now changed and the wonderful icons I had to show what was what are now all different and in black and white.

Any thoughts on how to fix the GUI?

Thanks,

Gordon

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Issue after updating to firmware V2.5.1.8

Your observation is correct.  The "bad news" is that Netgear changed the method for detecting devices "types" (something about including "Fing" code). This means that (a) they completely butchered all of the work we had put into identifying devices, (b) the Orbi now uses the the same graphic icons as every other Netgear product instead of the cute graphics, and (c) they added some new categories and removed some (I particularly miss "Linux PC").  The "good news" is that the new device system is stable.  Once I went through and corrected the mess, my work has remained untouched.  One of the major reasons Netgear released 2.5.1.8 is that the previous "2.5" release not only messed up device identification, but when users would fix things, they would disappear.  MAJOR ANGER.

Thus, we have a choice:  (a) go back to 2.3.5.30 (stability) and our cute pictures, or (b) stay on 2.5.1.8 (stability) but give up our cute pictures and live with different categories.

After spending the effort to get here, I'm not going back.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You didn't need to re-sync the RBS after the FW update, they should have re-connected by themselves after they were updated first. Then udpated the RBR lastly. 

Power OFF the RBS. Try and select the remove button next the the disconnected entries for the RBS on  the RBRs web page. I would reboot the RBR then once it's back to ready, power ON 1 RBS and let it come to ready. Hit the sync button on the RBR, then on the RBS. It should sync and turn BLUE on top of the RBS. Do this for the next RBS. 

Should this fail, you'll need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. 

NG is using new icons for devices now. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Your observation is correct.  The "bad news" is that Netgear changed the method for detecting devices "types" (something about including "Fing" code). This means that (a) they completely butchered all of the work we had put into identifying devices, (b) the Orbi now uses the the same graphic icons as every other Netgear product instead of the cute graphics, and (c) they added some new categories and removed some (I particularly miss "Linux PC").  The "good news" is that the new device system is stable.  Once I went through and corrected the mess, my work has remained untouched.  One of the major reasons Netgear released 2.5.1.8 is that the previous "2.5" release not only messed up device identification, but when users would fix things, they would disappear.  MAJOR ANGER.

Thus, we have a choice:  (a) go back to 2.3.5.30 (stability) and our cute pictures, or (b) stay on 2.5.1.8 (stability) but give up our cute pictures and live with different categories.

After spending the effort to get here, I'm not going back.

Message 3 of 8
gmcotton
Guide

Good evening,

Have done all except the factory reset of the RBR.

Did the remove thing, resynced, RBS turns blue, GUI shows not connected.

Even tried using the GUI to do the add satelite thing.  Even stranger, RBS turns solid blue, web interface states setup failed.

Seems very strange that one RBS shows fine the other two not and one of those the RBS50Y didn't need or take a firmware update.

Fine on the app, just not showing correctly on the web interface.

Message 4 of 8
gmcotton
Guide

Thanks,

I'll probably stick with it.  Just annoying as heck to go through and double check the devices that I have set with fixed ip and try to get the names back to something understandable.Typically 20+ devices connected to the system.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR might need a reset and setup from scratch. Some users haven't needed to do this, however for some, to clear these odd web UI issues or status issues on the RBR, a reset maybe needed. I guess I was a lucky one that I updated and didn't need to reset. Thought I do reset mine most of the time and start fresh. 

Message 6 of 8
gmcotton
Guide

Thanks, 

After two resets, restoring from backup, I now have all three satelites showing, the various port forwarding restored and seem to be working.

Thank you Netgear for a frustrating several hours getting this back to working order.

To those of you who helped out, thank you (without the sarcasm in the above comment)

Cheers,

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working again. I would save off a new back up configuration to file. Mark it for v2.5.1.8. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7