Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue connecting my new DELL latitude 7310 wireless to RBR20

Phil78FRA
Aspirant

Issue connecting my new DELL latitude 7310 wireless to RBR20

Dear community,

I bought my ORBI RBR20 (+one satellite) two years ago : no issue so far. Many devices connected (imac, macbook, chromecast, iphones of all family...) : all good, power signal, no disconnection. Happy.

Last week, I replaced my old laptop (DELL latitude 7280) by a new one (LATITUDE 7310) and the issues started... Unhappy.

This 7310 has no ethernet socket so go wireless is the only option.

The issue is the signal is detected by my DELL (I see the Orbi network), sometimes I can connect (sometimes I just can't even though signal is powerful) and if I can, I get disconnected after a couple of minutes. 

Note that my ORBI is linked with ethernet cable to my internet supplier Box (on which Wifi is disabled).

Still no issues with other devices, only issue is my DELL 7310. Note also that my new DELL connects to all other networks I tried (at work, at friend's). It seems it has only an issue with this ORBI device.

I tried the following :

- Forget the nework and reconnect

- reboot my internet box

- reboot my orbi main and satellite

- Reset both orbi main and satellite and reinstall (no change to factory settings)

- Update firmware in ORBI (it says V2.6.2.104 is the last available)

- Update the wireless driver on my DELL to get the latest one

All I can tink of is an incompatibility between the DELL wireless driver and the ORBI firmware.

Any ideas guys ? Any settings that would need to be modified to make it work?

Many thanks for your help.

PS : sorry for my english, not my first language.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Issue connecting my new DELL latitude 7310 wireless to RBR20

That looks like the correct place. (Notice the ability to disable either 2.4G or 5G.)  Maybe scrolling down will reveal a way to disable AX on the adapter.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Update the wifi drivers for the wifi adapter thats on that LT. 

Contact the mfr for additional help and information regarding that adapter. 

FYI, you can get USB to ethernet adapters for LTs that don't come with a ethernet port. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Phil78FRA wrote:

The issue is the signal is detected by my DELL (I see the Orbi network), sometimes I can connect (sometimes I just can't even though signal is powerful) and if I can, I get disconnected after a couple of minutes. 

Note that my ORBI is linked with ethernet cable to my internet supplier Box (on which Wifi is disabled).

Still no issues with other devices, only issue is my DELL 7310. Note also that my new DELL connects to all other networks I tried (at work, at friend's). It seems it has only an issue with this ORBI device.

I agree with @FURRYe38 that with laptops no longer including ethernet ports, many people find a USB3.0 ethernet dongle useful to have.  As an example, one of the first steps recommended for many problems is to connect a computer directly to the ISP modem and verify that the modem is working correctly.  Need ethernet for that.

(While this is one workaround, it certainly is not a solution.)

The Dell Lattitude 7310 features 2x2 WiFi6 (AX).  From the Dell web site:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/2-in-1-laptops-tablets/latitude-7310-laptop-or-2-in-1/spd/latit... 

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 2x2 802.11ax 160MHz + Bluetooth 5.1 Wireless Card 

The RBR20 Orbi supports 802.11ac and not WiFi 6, as I am sure do most of the other WiFi systems this laptop has connected to successfully. (WiFi 6 remains relatively rare because it is a costly upgrade and most people have no WiFi 6 devices that can take advantage of it.  It may be years before I buy WiFi 6.)

Orbi RBR20 also supports 2x2 MIMO.  It might be worth changing the router setting for MIMO and beamforming on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings.

Windows has the ability to set many features of the WiFi adapter. Perhaps it would be worth trying to disable the AX capability on the laptop WiFi adapter and tinker with MIMO and beamforming.

You may have already tried the Windows Network Troubleshooter?

Message 3 of 8
Phil78FRA
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Orbi RBR20 also supports 2x2 MIMO.  It might be worth changing the router setting for MIMO and beamforming on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings.

Windows has the ability to set many features of the WiFi adapter. Perhaps it would be worth trying to disable the AX capability on the laptop WiFi adapter and tinker with MIMO and beamforming.

Thanks CrimpOn and FURRYe38.

I have tried to tinker with MIMO and beamforming on my Orbi : didn't work.

I have updated both Orbi and laptop to latest version of driver : didn't work.

Today, I met with the IT guy at my work (as I am not an Admin, I cannot change any setting on my laptop on my own) to follow your advice to "disable the AX capability" on my DELL. We have tried to disable the adapter but as there is only one adapter on this laptop, I just lost entrirely  the wireless capability so I enabled it again. Could you please be more specific on what you meant by "disable the AX capability" ?

PLease see the screenshots of what I see. I don't know what to update.

Your help is very much appreciated !

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

That looks like the correct place. (Notice the ability to disable either 2.4G or 5G.)  Maybe scrolling down will reveal a way to disable AX on the adapter.

Message 5 of 8
Phil78FRA
Aspirant

Thanks a lot CrimpOn !

I disable the AX mode in my DELL wifi adapter and ... the wifi is back. Miracle !

But I noted a decrease in my wifi speed : 25 Mbit/s (both download and upload) versus 500 Mbit/s before with my old DELL.

Any tweak to enhance performance of my wifi ?

Note that, following your advices, I have bough a USB/RJ45 plug and I get 500Mbit/s so the issue is really with the current settings of my wifi adapter. This is a good backup solution then but a improved wifi speed would be a plus.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Phil78FRA wrote:

Thanks a lot CrimpOn !

I disable the AX mode in my DELL wifi adapter and ... the wifi is back. Miracle !

But I noted a decrease in my wifi speed : 25 Mbit/s (both download and upload) versus 500 Mbit/s before with my old DELL.

Any tweak to enhance performance of my wifi ?

This sounds like an excellent question for Dell.  802.11ax is not "brand new", but it also has not been available for over 10 years like 802.11ac.  Sounds to me like their WiFi driver software is not fully developed.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Adapter maybe faulty as well. Might look into a different adapter or replace it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7