Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issue with 2.1.3.4 in AP mode?

jdpg2
Apprentice

Issue with 2.1.3.4 in AP mode?

Is anyone else running their Orbi in AP mode?  I am having an issue where wireless clients are not getting an IP address assigned to them from DHCP server via the Orbi but hardwired clients are.

Cable Modem  >  Hardware Router (DHCP) >  Orbi in AP mode 

The Hardware Router and Orbi both have 8 port switches and all wired devices to those switchs work without issue, only wireless clients dont get IP addresses assigned.

I have done a clean install/reset of my Orbi and rebooted all of my infrastructure but nothing is working.  I also noticed that DHCP is still showing as on in the Orbi screen.. See screenshot bellow.

issueDHCP.JPG

Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
jdpg2
Apprentice

Well some Putty and the internet and i have it sorted out.  There clearly is an issue somewhere in the new FW.  But after some nvram show, grep, and set i over wrote the wrong DCHP values and i now have Wifi. 

I think netgear should give the new FW another look before grandma bricks her wireless because they wont know how to use Putty :D.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 31

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using?

What is the Mfr and model# of the main host router?

How did you configure the Orbi router? There is a AP Mode selection that you should have selected to change to this mode.

How is the Orbi router connected to the main host router, WAN to LAN or LAN to LAN. Try LAN to LAN ports after you selected AP mode and the Orbi router reboots.

Message 2 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

as i stated...

• Xfinity Cable Modem in Bridge mode
  • Orbi Fw : 2.1.3.4
  • Untangle Network Appliance
  • Orbi is in AP mode.
  • Orbi is connected WAN to LAN

This configuration has worked for over a year without issue until i upgraded to 2.1.3.4.   

Message 3 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the ISP modem?

If the modem is in bridge mode, then you don't need to run the Orbi in AP mode, you need  DHCP services at this point and would need to set the Orib in Router mode. If the modem is in bidge mode, then DHCP services would not be needed here at the modem and would be disabled.

Did you factory reset both Orbi router and satellite after updating FW? This should be done.

Try LAN to LAN this time if in AP mode.

Message 4 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

Let me clarify my architecture because NOTHING has changed other then the update to the Orbi FW.  This has worked flawlessley for over a year.

• Cable Modem (configured in Bridge mode) 
  • connected  
  • Untangle Network Appliance (router/dchp server)
  • connected  
  • 8 port switch (un managed)
  • connected  
  • Orbi RSR50 (configured in AP Mode)

I have tried connecting the Orbi via both Yellow and Swtich inputs and still no wireless clients are getting assinged DHCP from the Untangle network appliance.  All other wired devices are getting an IP address.

Message 5 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

Oh and Orbi was reset using 30-30-30 reset with a paper clip as well

Message 6 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

30 30 30 doesn't work on newer generation NG routers.

If you revert back to prior working version of FW, does this recolve the wireless problem?

I would try the Orbi in Router mode and see as well. Odd this is happening. Wireless should be good. Disable the satellite. Do any wireless devices get any connection at the router in AP mode?

Message 7 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

Funny you should say that, ONLY the 30-30-30 successfully reset the router. 

I also tested the Orbi router (in NON AP MODE)  connected directly to my Cable modem (still in bridge mode) and was able to connecte wireless clients without issue.

I am currently downgrading the firmware and will let you know what happens.

Message 8 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Makes me wonder if there is an issue w newer fw and your main host routers. Is odd behavior...
Message 9 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

Dont think thats the issue.  Remember it worked on 2.1.3.4 for a few weeks.  This is a new event that just happened today.

BTW i downgraded the FW and still no wireless...  i am really ready to put these up for sale on ebay and go with something else.  Very frustrated atm...

Message 10 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

Can anyone running in AP mode tell me if on their on their main RBR50 "Advanced Home" tab if the value under "Lan Port" > DHCP is showing On or OFF?

Message 11 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

I believe i have found the issue.   I appears that the DHCP Server value in the nvram is not being reset when switched to AP Mode.  In my case it is set to a Comcast IP (something that was left over from the default router mode setup).  The DHCP value should be set to the Default Gateway value (in my case 192.168.1.1).  This is why the Orbi is not passing the IP address on to wireless clients.  please see in the attached picture. 

Anyoen else running AP mode care to confirm on their setup?

Capture.JPG

Message 12 of 31
st_shaw
Master

Running 2.1.3.4 in AP mode here. No issues.  DHCP shows as ON.  However, I think this pertains to the DHCP client and indicates the Orbi router is obtaining its LAN IP address via DHCP from my third party router.

This is not a global Orbi problem.  It sounds to me like your Orbi router may be set to a static IP that's left over from your old router and is not consistent with your current router.

I suggest you should go back into the Orbi AP Mode setup screen and ensure that "Get dynamically from existing router" is checked rather than "Use fixed IP Address (not recommended)"

@jdpg2 wrote:

I believe i have found the issue.   I appears that the DHCP Server value in the nvram is not being reset when switched to AP Mode.  In my case it is set to a Comcast IP (something that was left over from the default router mode setup).  The DHCP value should be set to the Default Gateway value (in my case 192.168.1.1).  This is why the Orbi is not passing the IP address on to wireless clients.  please see in the attached picture. 

Anyoen else running AP mode care to confirm on their setup?

Message 13 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

In AP mode it is set to get ip dynamically .  My Router is configured to "serve"  the same IP to the Orbi AP. 

Could you do me a favor and look at what is listed under  Advanced Home, in the Lan Port section ,  click on Connection Status and tell me if your "DHCP Server" value is the same as your "Default Gateway";?

Message 14 of 31
st_shaw
Master

I can't see what you posted until NETGEAR reviews and approves the picture.

Yes, my DHCP server is 10.0.0.1 and my default GW is 10.0.0.1.  My Orbi IP in AP mode is set to 10.0.0.201. This is picked up via DHCP and is a static reservation in my Mikrotik router.

Message 15 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

We have a winner!!!!!... there is a bug in the FW...  thats the issue i am having the nvram value for DHCP Server is not being reset to my Default Gateway. ie the real DHCP ip address.

Message 16 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you use the Routers UI to "erase" to factory reset? Set up from scratch then set AP mode? 

Possible HW issue or problem with your particular unit. 

You might try this, I had to do this once with beta FW, do a factory reset. Disconnect the router from the main host router. Set up and skip the wizard. Go direcly in and load the FW file again, using IE11 or FF. Wired connection please. After it loads, use the routers UI and do the "erase" for reset. Set up and then configure AP mode. Check the WAN and LAN settings. Is DHCP services disabled after you set AP mode? 

Message 17 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

I have tried it multiple times with 2 different versions fo the FW.  I am not going in via Putty/Telnet.. see if i can override the value.  More to come.

Message 18 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like someting on your router isn't working right in this regard. I would make contact with NG support about it. As yours seems to be a first with this bad behavior. RMA might be needed as a suggestion. 

Message 19 of 31
st_shaw
Master

@jdpg2 wrote:

We have a winner!!!!!... there is a bug in the FW...  thats the issue i am having the nvram value for DHCP Server is not being reset to my Default Gateway. ie the real DHCP ip address.

Could be a bug of some sort. Sounds like something that should be resolved by a factory reset and setting up from scratch.

Message 20 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

You would hope so but i have done 2 resets now with no change.

Message 21 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

Well some Putty and the internet and i have it sorted out.  There clearly is an issue somewhere in the new FW.  But after some nvram show, grep, and set i over wrote the wrong DCHP values and i now have Wifi. 

I think netgear should give the new FW another look before grandma bricks her wireless because they wont know how to use Putty :D.

Message 22 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible upgrade process issue. How did you upgrade your unit? Auto upgrade or manual? 

What specifc browser are you using? 

I use manual and have never seen this kind of problem. I believe others have used auto upgrade and it's worked for them in the beta thread...

Message 23 of 31
jdpg2
Apprentice

I have been loading all of the FW updates (publically released and Beta) all via manual updates and most via clean resets.  This one is really strange since i just stopped working.

Message 24 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What specifc browser are you using? 

Ya this one is very strange...

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation