Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with Orbi RBR50

JABuntyn
Guide

Re: Issue with Orbi RBR50

Thanks Furry.  I was hoping to avoid a reset (aka the 'Nuclear Option')  I will try tomorrow night.  For some reason, I still have to work every day...I guess so that I can afford all of the toys...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, that kinda needs to happen if we want to play with toys. Smiley Wink

Hopefully the reset will gain you access. Seems like debug.htm is hung up on something. Another example of FW updates not working fully and thus needing a factory reset. Smiley Frustrated

@JABuntyn wrote:

Thanks Furry.  I was hoping to avoid a reset (aka the 'Nuclear Option')  I will try tomorrow night.  For some reason, I still have to work every day...I guess so that I can afford all of the toys...

Message 27 of 38
JABuntyn
Guide

I did not do the factory reset.  My original issue was connecting a 2.4G only WiFi camera (Argus 2).  Found a solution for that.  I posted that solution elsewhere. 

If I ever need to, now I know how to enter the debug mode and disable my 5G radio. 

Thanks so much!

Message 28 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

You can easier disable 5Ghz SSID by disabling the 5Ghz SSID Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. No need to go thru all the telnet hassle anymore. 

@JABuntyn wrote:

I did not do the factory reset.  My original issue was connecting a 2.4G only WiFi camera (Argus 2).  Found a solution for that.  I posted that solution elsewhere. 

If I ever need to, now I know how to enter the debug mode and disable my 5G radio. 

Thanks so much!

Message 29 of 38
dgorrd
Aspirant

I'm trying to separate the Wifi 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands but I can't get telent to connect to the Orbi Home.  I enable telnet at 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and type telnet 192.168.1.1 into the Windows Powershell but I get no response from the Orbi Home. Why isn't telnet responding on the Orbi Home?

Message 30 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

Is Telnet Client check-marked on the Control Panel, Programs & Features, Turn Windows features on or off"?

Message 31 of 38
dgorrd
Aspirant

Yes.  If it wasn't Windows would give an error message when entering the telnet command.  As it is, it doesn't give any error message, it just doesn't connect... there is no response from the Orbi Home after entering telnet 192.168.1.1.

Message 32 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

You are entirely correct.  If telnet is not active, there's an error message.

My first step would be to revisit 192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Uncheck the telnet box. Wait for the web page to refresh.  Check it again.  Wait for the web page to refresh.  Then try telnet again.

I telnet into Orbi every day.

Just to double check: the computer being used for telnet is the same computer being used to access the debug.htm web page?

Message 33 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

You can easier disable 5Ghz SSID by disabling the 5Ghz SSID Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. No need to go thru all the telnet hassle anymore. 

Message 34 of 38
dgorrd
Aspirant

Yes, it's the same computer. I tried disable/re-enable telnet in the debug window (again), but telent still doesn't connect in the Windows Pwershell. All I can see is the first time I try it in the Powershell Window a child window flashes open, then immediately closes before I can see what's in the window.  When I re-enter the telnet command the child window does not re-appear and telnet still doesn't connect.

I very annoying that Netgear didn't allow direct settings to name 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs.  You'd think they would have fixed that by now. I may have to just shut off the 5GHz band to make sure everything connects to the same 2.4 GHz network.

Message 35 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi MESH never intended to have separate SSIDs. ORbi MESH systems are based on using smart connect and single SSID. NG isn't planning on changing that. You can only disable either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz SSIDs for setup reasons only. 

Message 36 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

@dgorrd wrote:

Yes, it's the same computer. I tried disable/re-enable telnet in the debug window (again), but telent still doesn't connect in the Windows Pwershell. All I can see is the first time I try it in the Powershell Window a child window flashes open, then immediately closes before I can see what's in the window.  When I re-enter the telnet command the child window does not re-appear and telnet still doesn't connect.

Very weird.  Powershell works for me, as does opening a CMD window (Type CMD in the search box that opens from the Start Icon. Then type in the telnet command.)  Maybe try a CMD window?  I used to turn telnet on/off all the time, but finally got tired of it and just left the telnet box checked.  I was surprised to find that after a day or so, it would not respond, so I would have to uncheck/recheck it.

If the goal is to connect a 2.4G device, @FURRYe38 made a good suggestion.  Open the Advanced Wireless Settings and uncheck "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GH network.  See if that works.  (Would be helpful to know if it does not work.) I have a whole bunch of 2.4G only devices that connected without messing with the Orbi settings, so I am looking for characteristics which explain why some devices connect and other do not.

Message 37 of 38
dgorrd
Aspirant

That did it.  Apparently the Powershell doesn't have the same functionality as the CMD window.  When I used a CMD window instead, it worked.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7