Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with Static DHCP assignment (2.1.2.18)

KenStorm
Aspirant

Issue with Static DHCP assignment (2.1.2.18)

Bug?

Scenario:

A network device has already been on the network and given an IP address by Orbi DHCP.

You assign a static IP (in order to group similar items) which is outside the range of the DHCP scope.

Outcome:

No matter how many restarts of the client network device, Orbi still gives it its original DHCP address as obtained from Orbi.

Resolution:

Requires that the Orbi router is restarted in order to force it to issue the required static IP address.

BUG? - Should the network device on restart not obtain the IP allocated to it from Orbi not the original one allocated from the DHCP scope? 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Issue with Static DHCP assignment (2.1.2.18)

Does it work when your "static" Address Reservation is within the DHCP starting->ending range?  I don't think you can tell Orbi to use a restricted DHCP range and then expect that it will vend "static" DHCP addresses outside that range.

I have both types of reserved addresses, i.e., some that are within my DHCP range and some that are outside.  But for the latter my clients are all setup to use a static IP (not DHCP) so Orbi is not involved with assigning the IP address to the client.

Message 2 of 6
KenStorm
Aspirant

Would not the fact that a restart of the Orbi router cures the problem prove otherwise.

i.e. After a restart of the router the network device picks up its required (assigned) IP address?

Additionally this is the first router I have had that shows this behavour. Other routers it just works.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I found similar issue with my NG wireless bridge. Set it for Static IP address of 192.168.0.11. Scope on router is 192.168.0.100 thru .200. However the IP address displayed on the routers connected list is a 169.#.#.# self assigned address. The bridge and everything works fine. It's just not correctly displaying the address for the device in the UI. I submitted a report on this.

Any static IP addressed devices should work with the address and the Orbi router should display the address correctly, even if it's not in side the DHCP IP pool scope I believe. Using addresses with in the scope should be used for IP reservations of course. 

I recommend submitting this  as well. 

@KenStormwrote:

Bug?

Scenario:

A network device has already been on the network and given an IP address by Orbi DHCP.

You assign a static IP (in order to group similar items) which is outside the range of the DHCP scope.

Outcome:

No matter how many restarts of the client network device, Orbi still gives it its original DHCP address as obtained from Orbi.

Resolution:

Requires that the Orbi router is restarted in order to force it to issue the required static IP address.

BUG? - Should the network device on restart not obtain the IP allocated to it from Orbi not the original one allocated from the DHCP scope? 

Message 4 of 6
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I have seen this behavior, too. In my case I simply let the ORBI resolve the conflict itself. Meaning, I assigned a static IP address to a device that was originally getting a random DHCP address. After the static assignment, the ORBI still showed the old DHCP address to the device. After allowing the ORBI to "settle down" about 15 minutes, I noted it began reporting the correct static IP address for the device. No reboot required. I believe the bug is in the ORBI GUI home page display. It appears to not update all the data in the graphical display of attached devices very often.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

This should be fixed in next updated. We hope. 

@tucsonticowrote:

I have seen this behavior, too. In my case I simply let the ORBI resolve the conflict itself. Meaning, I assigned a static IP address to a device that was originally getting a random DHCP address. After the static assignment, the ORBI still showed the old DHCP address to the device. After allowing the ORBI to "settle down" about 15 minutes, I noted it began reporting the correct static IP address for the device. No reboot required. I believe the bug is in the ORBI GUI home page display. It appears to not update all the data in the graphical display of attached devices very often.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7