Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with ORbi connecting to ISP router after lights go out

simondv
Follower

Issues with ORbi connecting to ISP router after lights go out

Hi,

I have been having an issue with my Orbi. Everytime the eletricity goes down in the house my Orbi can't reconnect to the internet. The only way for it to work again is if I connect my PC to my Bt HUB (ISP provider BT) via ethernet and then it works again. I don't have to do anything else apart from connecting via ethernet. Thanks in advance for the help

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Issues with ORbi connecting to ISP router after lights go out

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@simondv wrote:

Hi,

I have been having an issue with my Orbi. Everytime the eletricity goes down in the house my Orbi can't reconnect to the internet. The only way for it to work again is if I connect my PC to my Bt HUB (ISP provider BT) via ethernet and then it works again. I don't have to do anything else apart from connecting via ethernet. Thanks in advance for the help

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? Just checking...

@simondv wrote:

Hi,

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@simondv wrote:

- Is your ISP modem (BT hub) just a modem or does it have any router functionality? I'll assume here it's just a modem and Orbi is set in Router Mode.

- If this is the case, then the issue can be caused by either the lost connectivity with DNS or the ISP IP DHCP renewal is needed more frequently.

Let' try first with the first possible cause (the DNS). Please try using 8.8.8.8 as your primary DNS and see if the problem gets better.

DNS settings are found in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet Setup >>

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7