Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with Orbi , Sonos, and other connected devices

Pgherardi
Follower

Issues with Orbi , Sonos, and other connected devices

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, have done some searching but keep seeing differing answers.  Plus my situation may be a little unique, so I am looking for a little help!

I have been having issues with my Orbi setup since purchasing and it had forced me to go to google wifi temporarily, but I want to try the orbi again as it is a superior system.

My house is 5000 sqft rectangular with three floors basement, main, and top

I have the Orbi base attached to a cable modem I purchased for xfinity service.

From the base I have an ethernet hardwire to the basement directly below to an Orbi sat.  This ethernet first goes to a switch that has my other entertainment devices attached to it.  The switch is unmanaged.

I have a 5.1 Sonos setup ((2) play 1s, a sub, and playbar) in the same room as the base and another surround setup in the basement by the sat.  Both playbars are hardwired to unmanaged switches.

I also have a sonos amp, and a play 5 elsewhere.

In my home I also have a cell phone femocell device from verizon that usese the internet to give us cell service.

My issues:

The sonos in the basement a few times a week will lose audio and a power reset is the only way to fix.

The sonos in the living room by the base has sound degradation occasionally.

Every few days the mini cell tower loses connection to the internet.

My master is on the top floor on the opposite end of the house as the living room.

In the master.

I lose wifi on my nvidia shield. Netflix constantly buffers.

To me there is an issue with connections and something must be conflicting with the orbi settings.

My questions:

-How would you reccomend I hook up the Orbi?

-What settings do you all recommend?

-Would me purchasing a RBS50 Sat for the top floor and putting it in the master help?

-What do you all think could be going on?

I can provide additional information, thank you all! 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Issues with Orbi , Sonos, and other connected devices

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Disable Daisy Chain if the RBS is ethernet connected to the RBR, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7