Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with firmware on RBS20 and RBR20

dbadrak
Aspirant

Issues with firmware on RBS20 and RBR20

(I posted this in the general purpose forum and was asked to respost here)

Hi. I went through the firmware update on my Orbi setup.

• Router RBR20, main level
  • two Satellites RBS20, one upstairs and one downstairs in the basement

I can't recall the original firmware, but it was v2.3.something (unchanged from when purchased).

I changed the settings to disable daisy chaining (as this was not desired), and enabled implicit beamforming and fast roaming (expecting some performance improvements).

My first upgrade was to 2.5.1.16 on all devices.   The router continues to work fine, but one of the satellites is having issues.  It is dropping connections, though I can't tell if it's dropping the connection to the internet (to the RBR20).  The app and web interface show it connected, and the devices are still connected to it.

This has been causing issues for everything upstairs.  People connecting to the router or basement are not getting dropped.

I disabled the implicit beamforming and fast roaming, hoping that would solve it. It didn't.  I left daisy chaining disabled.

I found cases of this firmware causing issues, so I did the next update 2.6.1.38 on the two satellites. The router is still on 2.5.1.16 with no issues. The upstairs continues to drop. There does not seem to be any logs I can get off the devices.

This is causing huge problems for the three people who count on that wifi to do work and school.

Is anyone else having this issue with the 2.6.1.38 firmware?

Don Badrak

==

Update: I have done a factory reset, and we'll see what it does on that device.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
DarkNet
Apprentice

For what its worth, I have a RBR20 and two RBS20's like you.  Here are my wireless settings which work for me.

image.png

Message 2 of 9
dbadrak
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  It seems like you posted an image and it didn't like it.

What firmware do you have running on all your devices?

@DarkNet wrote:

For what its worth, I have a RBR20 and two RBS20's like you.  Here are my wireless settings which work for me.

image.png

Message 3 of 9
DarkNet
Apprentice

Same as yours.  Latest update on the RBS20's and one behind on the RBR20 (I imagine I will update soon).

orbisettings.jpg

Message 4 of 9
dbadrak
Aspirant

Here's an update. 

I could not get the new 2.6.1.38 firmware to behave on my upstairs unit.   I reset it to factory defaults (though not sure if it worked -- it did come back up on the network).  Did the factory reset a couple times.

Ultimately dropped the firmware back to 2.3.5.36 (which is what I think I had before the updates). It would only drop it back to 2.5.1.16 (which is what the router RBR20 is).   

Once this happened, it worked more reliably!  The only odd thing is that the admin password is the default, and did not sync up with the router.

I'm hesitant to do anything more to it because we need strong wifi upstairs.

Don

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would keep v16 loaded on both units. Seems like more recent version of FW on the RBS is not working well with older version of FW thats on the RBR.

Message 6 of 9
dbadrak
Aspirant

I've got 2.5.1.16 on the RBR20 and one RBS20.   The other RBS20 is at 2.6.1.38 (and behaving well, though I may downgrade to be consistent).

Don

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be wise. 

Message 8 of 9
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That would be wise.