Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with new rbk853

tabarnes19
Star

Issues with new rbk853

I installed a new rbk 853 system last Night in AP mode.. Router is in one corner of house, satellite one 35 feet away in center of house and satellite 2 about 33 more feet away in detached garage.

Issues
1. Router and satellites all sync and show blue. Later find sat 3 in garage showing poor backhaul. After connection it goes from good to poor. Sometimes even during initiation looks like trying to star at first.

3. Devices connect to Router or satellite in far corner. Don't even connect right next to satellite.

I turned 2.4 power to 50%. There is no 75% it only lists 25, 50, 100. Hoping 2.4 devices would connect to closer satellite.

I can't see an option to fast switch in ap mode. It's really frustrating me. Power is phenomenal but a have a ring camera right out window from Router got it to connect and it shows 74 signal. Which is terrible. I turned off 20/40.

Any advice?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
vajim
Master

Re: Issues with new rbk853

you may want to post your questions here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@tabarnes19 wrote:
1. Router and satellites all sync and show blue. Later find sat 3 in garage showing poor backhaul. After connection it goes from good to poor. Sometimes even during initiation looks like trying to star at first.

A garage is a fairly large space.  I would get an extension cord and experiment with placing the satellite in different locations.  WiFi is really sensitive to dense (concrete, brick) or metal objects in the path. Might try relocating satellite 1 as well. Sometimes even a few feet makes a big difference.  That is the beauty of using WiFi to connect the Orbi units.  (They are not tied to an ethernet jack in a well.)

@tabarnes19 wrote:
3. Devices connect to Router or satellite in far corner. Don't even connect right next to satellite.
I turned 2.4 power to 50%. There is no 75% it only lists 25, 50, 100. Hoping 2.4 devices would connect to closer satellite.

I am not a fan of reducing Transmit power.  Is there a reason that 5G devices are not mentioned?

@tabarnes19 wrote:
I can't see an option to fast switch in ap mode.

This is an example of why we tend to refer posts to a community forum specific to the device or product.  The Orbi User Manual for the RBR850 router does not mention Fast Roaming at all, whereas it is on page 61 of the (older) RBR50 router. It is on the same Advanced Wireless Settings page as Transmit Power (see attached image). Since I do not have an RBR850, I cannot bring up the Advanced Wireless Settings page to see if it is there or not.  Perhaps Netgear decided that "this is an 802.11 standard. There is no reason for users to disable it." Does your product have options for Beam Forming, MIMO, and Daisy Chain?

@tabarnes19 wrote:
Power is phenomenal but a have a ring camera right out window from Router got it to connect and it shows 74 signal. Which is terrible. I turned off 20/40.

Does the window have a metallic coating (common on modern double pane windows)?  While "more is better", does the Ring camera actually perform correctly?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The items seen on the Orbi AC is now handled automatically on Orbi AX, thus the AX UI doesn't have some of the items as seen with the AC version. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Issues-with-new-rbk853-install/td-p/2068681/jump-to/first-u...

Message 4 of 5
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The items seen on the Orbi AC is now handled automatically on Orbi AX, thus the AX UI doesn't have some of the items as seen with the AC version. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Issues-with-new-rbk853-install/td-p/2068681/jump-to/first-u...

How is this post not duplicate when you consider post number 2?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7