Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Jitter issues via Orbi vs direct to modem

djc6
Luminary

Jitter issues via Orbi vs direct to modem

I recently replaced my Arris SB6190 modem with a Netgear CM600 due to the well publicized issues with jitter/latency on Intel's Puma 6 chipset that the SB6190 uses.

One of the tools used to help diagnose this issue is here: http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

Its essentially pinging a server on the internet but instead of using ICMP its using TCP.  This is because some internet routers/etc block ICMP, or lower the priority of ICMP in favor of TCP/UDP.  So a TCP test is more accurate.

Anyways, if I am cabled directly into my Netgear CM600 modem I experience almost no jitter.  For example, everything is tightly clustered around 35ms in this test:

JItter test bypassing router - cabled directly to modem

Compare that to test when my mac mini is cabled into the Orbi:

Mac mini plugged into Orbi

The response time distribution isn't so neatly packed around 35ms - many responses are 2x that!

Things I have tried:

1. I downgraded router & both satellites to V1.4.0.18 from V1.4.0.34 - didn't help
  2. I made the mac mini the only client on the Orbi.  I did this by removing power from both satellites and disabling both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios on the router in the Advanced Wireless settings.  I also unplugged a switch with more wired devices from the router.  At this point my mac mini was the ONLY client listed in Orbi's management inteface - didn't help jitter issues at all.

Anyone else seeing jitter problems with the Orbi?  This is bad for gaming, VOIP, etc. - any latency sensitive applications.     I did find this other thread where somoene mentioned periodic latency issues on their Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-latency-peaks-every-10s/m-p/1200477

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
djc6
Luminary

So inexplicably, since the morning of Monday, January 22nd I've run multiple jitter tests using dslreports.com's tools and no jitter issues are observed.  The following test was done via Wi-Fi connected to Orbi on a Mid-2012 retina macbook pro running Sierra.

great jitter test

So I have to imagine whatever was going on was unrelated to Orbi or my Netgear CM600 cable modem.  Firmware versions same on both devices since my original post, and I've changed nothing on configuration.  Seeing these results across multiple macs behind my Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
SloweThinking
Aspirant

I am seeing the same issues the past couple of days after upgrading to 1.4.0.34.  I have always used google voice, webex, skype etc for voice calls from my laptop without issue.  Since the update I can hear people on calls but they report my voice being choppy, gravely, unintelligible etc.  I will run the test below on my side as well and report back.

Message 2 of 14
MarkC1024
Luminary

I too have switched from the SB6190 to the CM600.  However, I'm not having any ping issues with this configuration.  Below is what is reflected when connected from my iMac via WiFi (older so not using 802.11ac)

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 6.19.46 AM.png

Message 3 of 14
rhester72
Virtuoso

From what I could tell from here (New Jersey, USA), your results with this test are -highly- dependent on your location and ISP.

A region-served service like Google is a far more accurate test - if you mtr to www.google.com for, say, 250 packets, you should get a much better idea of where you're at in terms of latency than with this test.  (And, for the record, Orbi produces -excellent- results in that department - far lower than Google OnHub or eero, based on my own testing, even over wifi).

Rodney

Message 4 of 14
djc6
Luminary

@MarkC1024 wrote:

I too have switched from the SB6190 to the CM600.  However, I'm not having any ping issues with this configuration.  Below is what is reflected when connected from my iMac via WiFi (older so not using 802.11ac)

What router are you using? Is it an Orbi?  If so, what firmware version?  How many satellites?  What version of MacOS X on your iMac?   Thanks!

Message 5 of 14
MarkC1024
Luminary

Just to Orbi with 2 satellites and the most recent FW.  As my 2011 iMac, running the most recent version of Sierra is in the room next to the router, it's connect to that vs the satellites.  If I test from the satellite, where I have my Windows PC connected via ethernet, I get simllar results.

Message 6 of 14
djc6
Luminary

@MarkC1024 wrote:

Just to Orbi with 2 satellites and the most recent FW.  As my 2011 iMac, running the most recent version of Sierra is in the room next to the router, it's connect to that vs the satellites.  If I test from the satellite, where I have my Windows PC connected via ethernet, I get simllar results.

I'm surprised we have such different results.  Same cable modem, same number of satellites, same firmware.. both 2011 era macs (yours imac, mine a mac mini).  Both runing Sierra.

Anything you changed in the Orbi firmware settings?  I am running with the defaults - only changes are SSID, network password and I enabled emailing of logs.  I recently set my Orbi to factory defaults and only changed the above three things to try and determine of some setting was causing jitter issues.

No jitter issues when I connect directly to Netgear CM600 modem.

Message 7 of 14
farfromovin
Guide

I checked out that thread on dslreports and gotta say I'm shocked. The SB6190 is getting slammed over there with the Puma6 fiasco for dropping UDP packets and erratic pings. I gotta say I'm not that tech saavy but I know this. I have a CM600 and a SB6190. I don't think there is enough bandwidth in my neighborhood because the cable in my area gets saturated on Friday and Saturday nights. I can go from 235mbps down to 150mbps or even 90mbps for 6 hr blocks on end during the "prime times". I can switch back and forth between the modems and the SB6190 will repeatably give me 10% better throughput over the CM600. Sorry if off topic

Message 8 of 14
MarkC1024
Luminary

Under wireless advanced, I have beam forming disabled and MU-MIMO enabled.  Do you get the same results via WiFi and ethernet?

Message 9 of 14
djc6
Luminary

@farfromovin wrote:

I can switch back and forth between the modems and the SB6190 will repeatably give me 10% better throughput over the CM600. Sorry if off topic

Do you live in an area with 32 downstream channels?  That could explain an SPEED edge by the SB6190 if your node is congested.  But the issue with SB6190 is extreme jitter that disrupts gaming, VOIP and packet loss.  DNS uses UDP so this results in slower web page loads.

Message 10 of 14
farfromovin
Guide

Yes I do have 32 streams here. This is unfortunate. I think the only other 32 channel variants are the CM700 (Puma6) and the CM1000. Looks like I'm going to return my SB6190 and get a CM1000.

Message 11 of 14
djc6
Luminary

@farfromovin wrote:

Looks like I'm going to return my SB6190 and get a CM1000.

The Arris SB8200 will be available very soon, already up for pre-order on Amazon.  It uses same Broadcom chipset as CM1000 but has two ethernet ports (for LACP; for DOCSIS 3.1 cable internet packages over 1Gbps).

Message 12 of 14
farfromovin
Guide

Pre-ordered, thanks!
Message 13 of 14
djc6
Luminary

So inexplicably, since the morning of Monday, January 22nd I've run multiple jitter tests using dslreports.com's tools and no jitter issues are observed.  The following test was done via Wi-Fi connected to Orbi on a Mid-2012 retina macbook pro running Sierra.

great jitter test

So I have to imagine whatever was going on was unrelated to Orbi or my Netgear CM600 cable modem.  Firmware versions same on both devices since my original post, and I've changed nothing on configuration.  Seeing these results across multiple macs behind my Orbi router.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7