Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Joining the crowd of RBR50/RBS50 which broke after firmware upgrade

DaveAnderson
Guide

Joining the crowd of RBR50/RBS50 which broke after firmware upgrade

I upgraded the firmware on my router around a day ago, and have repeatedly had the internet cut out. Wifi would keep functioning (you could be connected), but there was no internet behind the wifi.

It seems vaguely related to DNS (I had UDP connections still working during the outage - in other words: an ongoing game continued to work), but I haven't spent much time debugging it technically.

We have a separate cable modem, which still had internet access (direct connections worked fine).

Rebooting the router seemed to fix the issue. After perhaps the 10th time rebooting when I noticed our wifi had no internet, I came onto this forum and saw others had the same issue.

I'm just finishing up downgrading our firmware on both our router (RBR50) and our satellite (RBS50) to what I understand is the previous version (V2.3.5.30)

Fingers crossed it stops the random internet cutouts.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 46

Accepted Solutions
DaveAnderson
Guide

Re: Joining the crowd of RBR50/RBS50 which broke after firmware upgrade

I've now gone around 24 hours without the internet cutting out (previously it was going out every few hours, and 100% was out when I'd wake up in the morning). I'm going to call this a "fix" until I learn otherwise.

Downgraded both the router and satellite to 2.3.5.30.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.3.5.30.zip

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBS50-V2.3.5.30.zip

For those 2 files: You install the RBR firmware on the router, and the RBS firmware on the satellite.

You go to the IP address of the router to update it's firmware, then look at devices list, find the IP address of the satellite(s), go to that ip address in your browser (log in), and update the firmware on the satellite.

Easy peasy for even non-technical people.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 46

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Next time try a factory reset and setup from scratch after a FW update. 

Message 2 of 46
DaveAnderson
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If it happens again, I can always try that. But I really hope that Netgear has a team of engineers looking into this? Looking at the flood of complaints on the community forum (and reddit), there's certainly something going on.

Message 3 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Users need to contact NG support and let them know as well. 

Some users posted that there systems had been working up until the time change. Why this would effect Orbi, who knows. I would agree, NG needs to have a look as well. 

I've seen users post that a reset seems to have worked for them for 24 hours since doing that. Others posting that chagning NTP to something else may help as well. 

All this seems to revolve around the time change. 

Message 4 of 46
Hollywired
Tutor

Hello, Community.  Please excuse me if I make any errors; this is my first post.

When I woke up on Monday, everything on WiFi in my house was still connected to the Orbi locally, but anything that needed internet said none was avaialble.  My modem, supplied by my internet company, is working fine.  A reboot of the Orbi fixed the problem, but it recurred at around 5:00 PM that day, then again when I woke up on Tuesday, then around 1:00 PM on Tuesday, and again when I woke up this morning (Wednesday).  Each time, a reboot of Orbi easily solves the issue until the next time.

I haven't seen any solutions that I understand in the forums.  The previous poster suggested contacting Netgear Support.  I assume that can only be done through the paid support option at GearHead, if my Orbi is out of warranty?  Thanks so much for any insights.  Have a great day.

Message 5 of 46
DaveAnderson
Guide

I've now gone around 24 hours without the internet cutting out (previously it was going out every few hours, and 100% was out when I'd wake up in the morning). I'm going to call this a "fix" until I learn otherwise.

Downgraded both the router and satellite to 2.3.5.30.

For those 2 files: You install the RBR firmware on the router, and the RBS firmware on the satellite.

You go to the IP address of the router to update it's firmware, then look at devices list, find the IP address of the satellite(s), go to that ip address in your browser (log in), and update the firmware on the satellite.

Easy peasy for even non-technical people.

Message 6 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Try option F here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20...

@Hollywired wrote:

Hello, Community.  Please excuse me if I make any errors; this is my first post.

When I woke up on Monday, everything on WiFi in my house was still connected to the Orbi locally, but anything that needed internet said none was avaialble.  My modem, supplied by my internet company, is working fine.  A reboot of the Orbi fixed the problem, but it recurred at around 5:00 PM that day, then again when I woke up on Tuesday, then around 1:00 PM on Tuesday, and again when I woke up this morning (Wednesday).  Each time, a reboot of Orbi easily solves the issue until the next time.

I haven't seen any solutions that I understand in the forums.  The previous poster suggested contacting Netgear Support.  I assume that can only be done through the paid support option at GearHead, if my Orbi is out of warranty?  Thanks so much for any insights.  Have a great day.

Message 7 of 46
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

how is knowing the  Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router in use going to fix a firmware problem?

Message 8 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Also power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back ON after you make the NTP change. 

@Hollywired wrote:

Message 9 of 46
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How is power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back ON after you make the NTP change. 

and is knowing the  Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router in use going to fix a firmware problem?

Message 10 of 46
Hollywired
Tutor

Hello, Community.  Just checking back to let you know that, after I had one more outage yesterday around 4:00 PM, I following the insturctions:

F) Modify NTP Settings:
1-Uncheck the "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time"
2-Change your timezone "east" one hour to accommodate turning off the auto DST.

and

Also power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back ON after you make the NTP change. 

This morning, I woke up and all my devices were still able to access the internet.  Thank you so miuch for being so helpful!!  Have a great day.

Message 11 of 46
vajim
Master

@Hollywired wrote:

Hello, Community.  Just checking back to let you know that, after I had one more outage yesterday around 4:00 PM, I following the insturctions:

F) Modify NTP Settings:
1-Uncheck the "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time"
2-Change your timezone "east" one hour to accommodate turning off the auto DST.

and

This morning, I woke up and all my devices were still able to access the internet.  Thank you so miuch for being so helpful!!  Have a great day.

Thanks for the update.  Please keep in mind that IF NG fixes this in the next firmware update which you accept, you may have to go back and switch these settings back or reinstall your saved settings.

Message 12 of 46
cbell4444
Star

@DaveAnderson the previous firmware for RBR50/RBS50 is 2.7.2.102! Since you downgraded to something older than 2.7, your router probably won't see it (mine didn't). Download from here and upgrade from the firmware update manual tab. 

Message 13 of 46
DaveAnderson
Guide

I'll just sit on the old firmware until they've fixed the current firmware. Two days now with no issues. It's pretty nice to have the internet again.

Message 14 of 46
cbell4444
Star

AMEN!

Message 15 of 46
vajim
Master

@DaveAnderson wrote:

I'll just sit on the old firmware until they've fixed the current firmware. Two days now with no issues. It's pretty nice to have the internet again.

great idea....and when a new firmware becomes available perhaps hold off for a week or so and let those living on the edge test the waters

Message 16 of 46
cbell4444
Star

Sage advice!

Message 17 of 46
SethPen
Initiate

Down graded and the issue went  away.   From my experience the gateway stopped responding and items on my network continued to operate for a while.  I could use my phone's network to connect to remote cameras but I could not on the local LAN.  I would have to reboot the router to get the functionality back. 

This is a firmware issue and I hope you are able to correct it soon for the individuals that are not technical.  I do appreciate the fact that I was able to connect to my router and both satellites and downgrade. I made the fatal mistake of assuming that if the firmware was available that it was safe. 

I too tried my ISP settings and others option before I did the downgrade. 

Message 18 of 46
SethPen
Initiate

Follow this procedure to correct ,  if you are having this issue.  I was able to get a stable network after downgrading. 

Message 19 of 46
vajim
Master

@SethPen wrote:

Follow this procedure to correct ,  if you are having this issue.  I was able to get a stable network after downgrading. 

key word is 'downgrade'

thanks for sharing

Message 20 of 46
cbell4444
Star

@SethPen What version did you downgrade to? I downgraded to 2.7.2.102, but that caused other problems. Thanks!

Message 21 of 46
DaveAnderson
Guide

@cbell4444 wrote:

@SethPen What version did you downgrade to? I downgraded to 2.7.2.102, but that caused other problems. Thanks!

I personally downgraded to 2.3.5.30. I know it's old, but someone mentioned it was pretty stable. I've seen no functionality/speed decrease of any type, and it's been 3 days now with zero problems.

Here are the direct links to the 2 files (one for router, one for satellite).

Message 22 of 46
vajim
Master

@DaveAnderson wrote:

@cbell4444 wrote:

I personally downgraded to 2.3.5.30. I know it's old, but someone mentioned it was pretty stable. I've seen no functionality/speed decrease of any type, and it's been 3 days now with zero problems.

Here are the direct links to the 2 files (one for router, one for satellite).

now that's what I call a downgrade.  Nice work Dave....thanks for sharing.

Message 23 of 46
billasch
Guide

Having the same issue.  Orbi Router loses internet connectivity for MOST activities.  However, yesterday I noticed my son's Discord kept running...even though he could not access basic websites.  Today, I was in a Zoom call,where Zoom kept running, but I was unable to access any websites.

I logged into my router's settings, clicked around a bit and after a couple of minutes it started working normally again.

This has been happening since Sunday at least.

I am running firmware V2.6.1.40

Message 24 of 46
skitzrv
Initiate

I executed your workaround along with adding "Change the NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org"

so far so good

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 29 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7