Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Just Purchased an Orbi RBK50 - But am concerned after seeing this form . . .

WSR
Tutor
Tutor

Just Purchased an Orbi RBK50 - But am concerned after seeing this form . . .

So I just bought an Orbi after reading rave reviews about them and it arrived yesterday.  I was excited to install it, until I read through some of these forum discussions.  I hope I don't have any problems with installation, firm ware updates, drop wi-fi connection, etc. otherwise I guess I will be returning it at the first sign of any problems.

Should I presume the vast majority of people love their Orbis, or that the negative discussions that dominate this forum is telling of most people's experiences? 

Thank you in advance.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
timch
Luminary

Re: Just Purchased an Orbi RBK50 - But am concerned after seeing this form . . .

Well I love my RBK50. I’ve had it for a long time now and it provides fast coverage throughout my house. The environment is tricky and congested as it is a Victorian London townhouse narrow and over many floors. This is the only system that I have found that gives seamless roaming and I have no problem holding a FaceTime conversation as I move from top to bottom despite being transferred from satellite to satellite. I have only had one small snag 18 months ago which was on an early firmware and fixed immediately by support giving me a beta firmware. Since then, the stock firmware has all worked fine.... and I have never factory reset.
You don’t see many on eBay so I am surprised by the tone of many of the comments here; maybe Asus employees earning overtime??????
Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If your Orbi has older FW on it. ie. v1.#.#.#. To get it and the satellite(s) updated, download the v2.0.0.74 FW and v2.2.1.210 FW files for both Router and satellite. Get the satellites connected first to the router. While they are connected, manually update the FW on the satellites first to v74, then upgrade the router. After v74 is applied and the system is back online. Send the v210 FW file to the satellites, then send the FW file to the router. The system will be up to date. This process is only needed of the FW on the system is old. 

@WSR wrote:

So I just bought an Orbi after reading rave reviews about them and it arrived yesterday.  I was excited to install it, until I read through some of these forum discussions.  I hope I don't have any problems with installation, firm ware updates, drop wi-fi connection, etc. otherwise I guess I will be returning it at the first sign of any problems.

Should I presume the vast majority of people love their Orbis, or that the negative discussions that dominate this forum is telling of most people's experiences? 

Thank you in advance.

Message 3 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

Most of the issues you are reading about here are folks who have more complex network architectures or special circumstances.

Although upgrading firmware right out of the box is a pain, once it is done, you will probably find -- like me -- that Orbi's are reliable and extremely fast with excellent coverage.  Knowing if you need your Orbi in Router mode or AP mode is also another fork in the road many dont handle well.

Before you install, why not describe who your ISP is and what type of cable modem (make/model/etc) you have...  folks will be able to tell you exactly how to set it up so there are no surprises!

Of course you have been reading about these issues and vignettes in a forum designed to help solve problems.  The only people to visit here are those who have had challenges!

The good news is that if you DO have issues, there are a bunch of experienced folks here with a diverse set of skills who can help you to get it running right.

I would like to see you create a post here that talks to your installation and setup experience...  I bet folks would appreciate reading something like that.

Good luck and we are looking forward to hearing from you!

Message 4 of 13
WSR
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the great responses. 

I will post my ISP and modem specs tonight to get more insight before I attempt the installation this Friday.  I will post soon!

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 13
WSR
Tutor
Tutor

I have Spectrum Extreme Internet service, with an Arris modem, Model: TM160ZA.  Is that enough information for you guys to help me install the Orbi properly?  Thanks again in advance!

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking to see if the modem had a built in router already. Can cause problems. Your good here.

Just power OFF the modem and connect the Orbi router up. Power ON the modem first and let it sync then power ON the orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard with a PC connected to the router.

Message 8 of 13
WSR
Tutor
Tutor

Great.  Thank you!  I expect to install on Friday so I will post on that experience.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 10 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

Should be an "easy day" install and what I consider to be an exciting moment for you in modernizing your network!

Remember though, once you install... that is only step one.  

The remainder of the effort should to be configure the architecture to make most sense to you and meet your needs.  Do this up front and right the first time so that in the future, you dont have to wade through a mish-mash that doesnt make a lot of sense

That includes:

• Updating Firmware on router and satellites 
  • Renaming devices so they make sense to you and you know what they are and where they are in your building
  • Reserving IP space for satellites  (My router is at 192.168.1.1 and my satellites are at .5 & .6)
    • As an example, My DHCP starts issuing IPs at .10 but I reserve IP spaces for normal devices (Like sonos, hue, doorbells etc well above that to keep things logically separated)
  • Configuring custom DNS's if you want
    • I use these three in this order:
      • My ISP DNS
  • Configuring time server if desired
  • Configuring NO-IP if you have it
  • etc.

I am sure this will be a breeze, but feel free to reach out here or in PM if you need anything.  I think it was incredibly smart of you to ask questions on here before install.  +1

We all look forward to hearing how it went.

Chuck

Message 11 of 13
WSR
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Chuck!  I understand the first two items: 

• Updating Firmware on router and satellites 
  • Renaming devices so they make sense to you and you know what they are and where they are in your building

But I'm not sure how "important" the other items are (I presume they are more technical than my current knowledge).  Do you believe they are all important, or just a matter of preference?  Also, this one seems intriguing, but could you elaborate on the benefits of this?  

• Reserving IP space for satellites  (My router is at 192.168.1.1 and my satellites are at .5 & .6)

Thanks again for all the help!  This forum community has been very helpful, in a very short period of time!  

Message 12 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

Answered you in a private message...  But to summarize:

I believe a good logical organization of devices on your router enhances security, understanding and efficiency of that device.

This is especially true as the numbers of connected devices goes up and you may not be too sure of what is what after a while.  This technique == and it is a preference, not a must do == helps organize.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7