Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Just hooked up my Netgear Orbi RBR50 plus 2 satellites. Different speeds test results.

Golfnut801
Aspirant

Just hooked up my Netgear Orbi RBR50 plus 2 satellites. Different speeds test results.

Just moved into my new home. And finished hooking up my Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites. My internet provider is Xfinity with 1 gig speed. When I did the Orbi speed test. I get upwards of 900+ download speed and around 80-90 upload speed. And then when I use Ookla speed test app. I get only between 100-200 download and 10-20 upload speed. I run a test through Xfinity speed test. And it shows I get around 200-300 download and 30-40 upload.
But the weird thing is. When I open a page on my phone, iPad, or laptop. The entire page opens up immediately. I have about 60 devices hooked up. With zero issues with speed.
Why are the 3 results so different from one another?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Just hooked up my Netgear Orbi RBR50 plus 2 satellites. Different speeds test results.

@Golfnut801 wrote:
Why are the 3 results so different from one another?

Please explain what device(s) are being used to perform the speed tests and how they are connected to the Orbi system.

For example, devices connected over WiFi cannot possibly report a speed anything close to 1GB on a 5G 802.11ac connection.  Much less over 2.4G 802.11n.  Older and slower cell phones report slower speeds than newer and more powerful phones.

Message 2 of 4
Golfnut801
Aspirant

Re: Just hooked up my Netgear Orbi RBR50 plus 2 satellites. Different speeds test results.

I used Iphone 12 pro max, the latest ipad pro, and the latest macbook pro. Iphone and Ipad connected via wifi. ANd the macbook pro was hard wired.  All them read similiar numbers. Really low readings through Ookla app, high readings through orbi app and xfinity. I had comcast come out today to double check. And they also measured around 800-900Mbps with 57 Mbps upload. And this was standing outside of my house. Ived used Ookla for a long time. And its been pretty close. But now it isn't close. So it just got me wondering why.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

WiFi connected devices will never reach anything close to 1gig, but should easily get to 400-500.  The hardwired MacBook should report in the 900mb range.

The next step is to look at the "Link Rate" of the WiFi devices to ensure that they are connecting at a high speed. My two year old Sony reports a Link Rate of 585, so that iPhone 12 should connect at 866 (the maximum).  The actual throughput over a WhFi connection can never reach the theoretical 866 (for a bunch of reasons), but should be more than 200 for certain.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7