Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Just updated the firmware on my RBR40 and it's dead

raiderbruce
Aspirant

Just updated the firmware on my RBR40 and it's dead

Received and email from Netgear to update the firmware...big mistake.  Now the unit is dead.  RBR40 w/ 3 satellites was purchased in 2019.  Now what?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

How do you know its dead? 

Whats the power led on it doing? 

It wouldn't be the first time a device was corrupted during a firmware update. 

I'd first start by trying to factory reset. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

If that doesn't help, you can always try recovering it using tftp or nmrpflash. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 5
raiderbruce
Aspirant

Thanks plemans,

I wasn't very specific in my complaint description.  After the firmware installation, I had no wireless nor pass thru wired to my desktop (zero, none, nada).  I had to bypass the orbi and go directly into my pc in order to have connectivity.  I set up my pc as a hotspot for a couple of days to keep my wife at bay.  I repeately did the hard reset or the orbi and went back through the setup and on the 6th atempt, it appeared to take a different route and said it was updating the firmware.  Now it appears to be working and has a new feature (Armor checking for vulnerabilities).  This is something I did not set up, maybe it's from the new firmare???  Anyway, I'm not much of a software/hardware person.  Just pisses me off a $600 piece of equipment can go on the frits with a firmware update and then the company gives you no way to contact them for support.  

Message 3 of 5
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi raiderbruce,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. We are also sorry to hear about your experience with the router. Please provide us your email address, phone number and preferred callback date and time so we can have our Support team contact you for assistance.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@raiderbruce wrote:

Thanks plemans,

I wasn't very specific in my complaint description.  After the firmware installation, I had no wireless nor pass thru wired to my desktop (zero, none, nada).  I had to bypass the orbi and go directly into my pc in order to have connectivity.  I set up my pc as a hotspot for a couple of days to keep my wife at bay.  I repeately did the hard reset or the orbi and went back through the setup and on the 6th atempt, it appeared to take a different route and said it was updating the firmware.  Now it appears to be working and has a new feature (Armor checking for vulnerabilities).  This is something I did not set up, maybe it's from the new firmare???  Anyway, I'm not much of a software/hardware person.  Just pisses me off a $600 piece of equipment can go on the frits with a firmware update and then the company gives you no way to contact them for support.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7