Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Keep Loosing Internet Connection with my Orbi

Streak2
Master

@DBetts wrote:

I have updated the system to V2.0.0.74   no improvement.  I have MU-MIMO and beamforming enabled but it is not random connected wireless devices dropping the internet connection, it is the base router and all devices lose connectivity simultaneously whether wired or otherwise. Have spoken to support, its like they don't listen, having me change channels on the wireless settings, umm sure, lets do that. End of tech support today was, must be my ISP, so had the ISP out, all tests clean. Subsequently connected my old Linksys router and voila, stable connection. Netgear, time to acknowledge you have a problem...

As a final attempt, try and do a factory reset now that you have the latest firmware. Also, what's the IP range of your ISP router and what's the IP range of the Orbi?

Message 26 of 57
RvanD
Tutor

I was briefly able to connect and change userid and p/word but again am not now.

Message 27 of 57
Chathamtri
Tutor

For the past three weeks we cannot keep any of our IoS devices connected.   The drops used to be short and infrequent now it is rare that we can connect.   We have uploaded the new firmware (think it made it worse) and tried all the other suggestions.  Nothing is working and not sure NetGear cares; except that I note the Amazon page is now littered with reviewers recommending that no one purchase Orbi's/NetGear products.   We are going back to our FioS router (which does not cover the house) but at least we can be connected when we are close by.  Who would have ever guessed that a Verizon product would best NetGear.  Sad

Message 28 of 57
dsegel
Tutor

Netgear - is there a beta firmware I could test? I've gone through factory resets, various options, nothing works. The router periodically just disconnected the WiFi network from the internet. Wired connections seem to stay connected. It seems to happen more often if I have satellites connected, like every 2-3 days. I've gone a week without any drops with no satellites connected, but since I bought the Orbi to have the satellite connectivity, this isn't very useful.

Message 29 of 57
Oliverpool
Guide

I would like to add that I had this problem in all the firmwares since I bought 2 sets of the 50 model. Different ISP in different locations and both the same issue. Terrible problem and support just refused to acknowledge that its Orbo fault.  No problem with a Aztech router, 2 different Asus router. Does not matter if Orbi is working as a AP or just as a router.

Each firmware has made the disconnect or "hanged" traffic worse. I have since gone back to the last stable V11 firmware that is less problematic but actually still much worse the my Asus router. 

Message 30 of 57
DBetts
Guide

Orbi  "Outrageously Rediculous Blatantly Ineffectual" . Both the equipment and the support. They know they have a problem, multiple firmware updates, no resolution. Since updating to 74, my internet interuptions are at 10-12 per day, typically 6-8 minutes. Every support call arrives quickly at, "put a pin in the little hole". I am at approximately 10 factory resets, reboots ad nauseum. They know they have a problem, yet they tell as all, must be your internet service provider, so we all waste the ISP's time to come out and confirm they work. 30 minutes after the isp tested my system, at my site, ORBI blinked out, called ISP support, they could ping their router, connected directly to pc, yep, internet. An hour later ORBI blinks again, I decided to swap out for predecessor Linksys, 2 solid days of no interruption. Reinstalled ORBI, Blinked out in less than an hour. Yes Beamfrming enabled, yes MU-MIMO enabled, Backhaul topology on off, UPnP off blah blah blah, why should we have to do all this stuff, your product is supposed to work. That's what we paid for... fix your problem or give us our money back

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 31 of 57
DBetts
Guide

I will preface this by saying I am not a tech so this could be totally out to lunch, but I noted today that the internet interruptions appear to occur when certain [DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 144.76.16.7, port 8124, Wednesday, November 01, 2017 20:27:55
" appears in the log. They are not multiple simultaneous port scans, but this particular IP appears to scan once, several times per day.

Message 32 of 57
GDMACK
Star

I am having the same problem.  Multiple times a day I have to reboot my Orbi because it has lost internet connection.  The Comcast Modem/Router WiFi which is part of the same network (from which the Orbi gets its internet) has no problems, it is only the Orbi.  I am running in AP mode, and have the latest firmware (2.something).    What can I do?  This having to constantly reboot is intolerable.  As long as my devices are hooked to the Comcast WiFi I have no problems, but then I get the Magenta ring on the Orbi and I know I am down again.  It can not be trusted.

Message 33 of 57
stevemuk
Initiate

Have tried everything from resets to factory configs and still dropping connections. Even wired ports failing and smart home devices unable to connect  and dropping connections on latest software. Reverted to ASUS router and all of sudden problems disappear and everything starts to work again. Need to get it fixed !!!!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 34 of 57
Hermosaman
Guide

From my perspective, the entire Orbi product and software is an extended beta product.  This roller coaster of the system working vs. not working is unacceptable, especially at the $500 price-point! 

Netgear - I would be concerned when your customers say that Frontier FIOS has anything more reliable than your products!

Message 35 of 57
DBetts
Guide

As a follow up, after the release of V2.1.1.16, the issue has changed entirely, it is difficult to say whether the ORBI is maintaining a consistent connection with my ISP because the router resets itself 2, 3 even 4 times an hour. All connectivity with all devices, wired or otherwise lost for typically 2 minutes reboot time.

Wow

Message 36 of 57
rmamzc
Aspirant

I am seeing similar symptoms with my Orbi it has been problematic since I bought it.  Has there ever been a stable firmware available for this product?   I don't need backhaul as much as I need WiFi to actually work.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 37 of 57
DBetts
Guide

I have read posts where users say they are stable but my personal experience is that all 3 versions of firmware issued in the last few months have not been stable. The most recent makes the router a paper weight.
Message 38 of 57
Jandy1
Initiate

The latest firmware versions have made the Orbi RBK50 constantly disconnect (currently V2.1.1.16). Router reboot is required several times a day. Satellites randomly disconnect. ISP is 100% connected. Factory reset, etc. to no avail. The Orbi worked well for the first month or two but then degraded to nothing but frustration. Regrettably, I recommended this $450 device too quickly to friends and family. Most have already returned theirs.

Orbi disconnects

Orbi disconnect issues

Orbi blinking light

Orbi blinking white

Orbi loses connection

Orbi lost connection

Orbi constantly disconnecting

Netgear Orbi 

Orbi RBK50

Message 39 of 57
JRBenning
Tutor

I Too have noticed a degradation in maintaining connections after upgrading to firmware V2.1.2.18

My kids ask me daily to fix the WiFi at all hours of the night. I usually have to reboot the router (and not the modem). Since the modem seems fine and the stability of Orbi has only recently come into question… must assume it is this recent firmware. Do you have a fix or a way to revert to a more stable version. This is PAINFUL!
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 40 of 57
Streak2
Master

What are your current settings for the following? Mine were unticked by default, try enabling  beamforming and fast roaming if they are not already checked and disable them if they already are checked.

I also had a little instability after the firmware update but a factory reset and resync cleared things up.

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming
Message 41 of 57
RvanD
Tutor

I moved the satellite to a different spot: problem solved, which still doesn't really solve the original problem. Now I wish my Genie app would work.

Message 42 of 57
GoldenGriffin
Aspirant

I purchased the Orbi in November of 2016 - it has worked flawlessly until the past 2 weeks where I lost the internet via wifi 4 times, including this evening.   I rebooted each time and regained wireless Internet but I am very concerned that the Orbi router is failing after less than 1.5 years.  I am up to date on the firmware and the internet works fine from my cable modem - including the modem's wifi, though much, much slower than the Orbi when it is working.  Any suggestions?

Message 43 of 57
JRBenning
Tutor

I’m not sure if this will help, but I recently had a nightmarish time with my Orbi. I upgraded my modem and after 5 minutes of running WiFi the Orbi would slow from 170Mbps to 3Mbps. I tried everything except for a factory reset (the pinhole reset button on the router). That improved the situation, but it wasn’t until I later unplugged the satellites and plugged them back in that the network stabilized. So, factory reset and power cycle satellites. Good luck!
Message 44 of 57
GoldenGriffin
Aspirant

Thanks for the Factory reset suggestion - I did that once when rebooting and unplugging didn't help.  That was about 45 days ago.  Now I lost the internet via wifi 3 times in a week.

Message 45 of 57
Streak2
Master

Since upgrading my firmware to 2.1.2.18 I no longer have this issue. Are you on the same firmware?

Check your advanced wifi settings as below. I have the first and last options checked. As well as Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming
Message 46 of 57
GoldenGriffin
Aspirant

Firmware is V2.1.2.18.  Advanced settings are identical.

Message 47 of 57
Streak2
Master

Try and turn off the options that are checked except for daisy chain (if you don't have more than 1 satellite then uncheck it)

Do you have this issue both on the router as well as on the satellite?

What's the satellite's backhaul status?

Message 48 of 57
GoldenGriffin
Aspirant

Seems like all of the satellites, I have 2, and the backhaul status says “good.”

Message 49 of 57
Streak2
Master

I know you mentioned resetting the router, have you tried factory resetting the satellites and then re-pairing them with the router?

Also, try restarting the Internet gateway that the Orbi router is attached to.

Message 50 of 57
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7